Notices

Driving impressions Accord V6 Sedan with 6 Speed

Old 12-12-2005, 07:10 PM
majorbike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving impressions Accord V6 Sedan with 6 Speed

Im looking at buying either an 05 TSX with the 6 speed or an Accord EX V6 Sedan with the 6 speed. I've had short test drives in both. A lot of people like the handling of the TSX, but I thought the new Accord sedan handled pretty good.

What are others impressiosn of the handling of either car.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the accord should handle better, though it wont be able to hit the curves as hard because of weight
Old 12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
FallenAngelHIM

i had a crazy ass long post about TSX vs Accord a week or two ago. search under accord and tsx and search for my username, it should pop up from 2 weeks or so ago. pretty detailed. the verdict was...buy what you want, but TSX pretty much got the overall vote. personally i'd go with TSX, it's the "euro" version of the accord...so they say.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Accord2005NJ

For US roads and type of driving I would go with Accord. TSX is also much smaller and 4 banger.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:40 AM
FallenAngelHIM

yes, but remember the 4 banger is DOHC and the V6 is SOHC
plus the V6 will require more maintenance and more parts? i'm actually not sure on that one, but i'm figuring 2 more spark plugs, 2 more wires, and a 6 head dist. cap.
my main thing was the DOHC vs SOHC
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think they havy a dizzy anymore?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

I found it to a bit heavy with too much understeer on the Accord. The stock tires on all the Accords and TSX’s are not up to par for spirited handling but I think the TSX does pretty good job with the stock suspension.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
majorbike

The part about US roads makes sense. I've thought about the type of driving I do here in the St. Louis area. Very little is the twisty road type. Mostly striaght suburban roads with lights and interstates. My commute is 21 miles each way with 18 of that on interstate going 65-75 in light to medium traffic. With all this in mind I'm leaning more torwards the Accord.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Originally Posted by majorbike
The part about US roads makes sense. I've thought about the type of driving I do here in the St. Louis area. Very little is the twisty road type. Mostly striaght suburban roads with lights and interstates. My commute is 21 miles each way with 18 of that on interstate going 65-75 in light to medium traffic. With all this in mind I'm leaning more torwards the Accord.
Check out the 06 TSX's, they look great after the slight refresh and have a lot of nice features inside. The Navi seemed to have gone down in price (at least in Canada) with the 6-speed. The Bluetooth will be a nice accessory too.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:38 PM
motoguy128

Originally Posted by FallenAngelHIM
yes, but remember the 4 banger is DOHC and the V6 is SOHC
plus the V6 will require more maintenance and more parts? i'm actually not sure on that one, but i'm figuring 2 more spark plugs, 2 more wires, and a 6 head dist. cap.
my main thing was the DOHC vs SOHC
For starters, almost all modern cars have distributorless ignition. Typically each cylinder has it's own coil and is fired individually by the engine computer using a sensor on the camshaft and/or crankshaft. The computer can adjust the spark timing based on environmental conditions, throttle position and RPM.

Nothing wrong with single overhead cam, especially on a larger displacement engine with a V configuration. Both the I-4 and V6 will have 2 camshafts total. One camshaft is actuating both the exhaust and intake valves instead of seperate cams. It's a little less complex and may be a little more compact. Mercedes went to this arrangement on their V6 engines.

Yes maintenance will be a little higher, but performance wise, the V6 Accord is a large step ahead. IT makes almost 25% more peak power than the TSX and makes it over a much wider range since it's a V6 and larger displacement.

The TSX should be considered a more practical sedan version of the RSX and not directly compared to the Accord.

I'm not going ot get into marketing strategies and demographics, but each has it's niche and were not intended to be direct competitors.