Notices

help with suspension (bumpstops)

Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM
lenny_vp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with suspension (bumpstops)

Ok before anything I have searched for 2.5 hours and I can not find an answer that I am looking for.

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan (don't ask how many miles ). Back in August 2005 I decided that I wanted to lower my car. I had absolutly no knowledge of suspension. So as for any ignorant motherlover would do, I bought some cheap coilover sleeves on ebay for $20. I asked all over where I live and no shop knew how to setup the coilovers. I finnally found a shop that claimed they knew (so they think) and they charged me $250 dollars to put the coilover sleeves.

After 3 hours the coilovers are on the car and the guy said the old springs were in the trunk. Yeah I didn't replace the stock shocks . The ride was somewhat good for the first two days. After that, I started bottoming out a lot. After I was fed up with the setup, I decided to increase my knowledge of suspension (thats when I found this forum ).

I decided to get some good shocks and springs. I bought some KYB AGX and some H&R Sport Springs. I still haven't installed them on the car (need some money)

Yesterday I decided to look in the bag where the old springs were, to my surprise I found the stock bumpstops . Not only that but I was missing one . That stupid jerk who installed my coilovers either forgot or stole one of the bumpstops. So that means that all this time (August - December) I have been riding without any bumpstops, that would explain the constant bottoming out.

So my question is: Is there anywhere where I can buy stock bumpstops for a 1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan? If I manage to get the stock bumpstops should I cut them? If yes, by how much?

or better yet: Does anyone know where I can buy some aftermarket bumpstops that would go well with KYB AGX and H&R Springs???

I am sorry if this topic has been covered, but I spent a great deal of time searching and did not find anything that satisfied me.

Thank you and I have to say this forum RULES ! ! !
Old 12-09-2005, 06:21 PM
jschmid

Sucks you had to learn the hard way. Rahter than pay someone to do the install, invest in a factory service manual ( www.helminc.com ) and whatever tools you need (ie spring compressor) and DIY with the money you would have spent on the install. You'll learn a bit and won't waste your money.

Yes, you can buy new bumpstops, here for example: http://www.hondapartssource.com/

As for trimming...you probably won't need to, but if you feel like it you can take a bit off them, I wouldn't remove more than 1/3 or so, that'll give you a bit more travel.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:30 PM
DUNK_Performanc
ThAiLaNd-Land of Smiles

Default Helms

Originally Posted by jschmid
Sucks you had to learn the hard way. Rahter than pay someone to do the install, invest in a factory service manual ( www.helminc.com ) and whatever tools you need (ie spring compressor) and DIY with the money you would have spent on the install. You'll learn a bit and won't waste your money.

Yes, you can buy new bumpstops, here for example: http://www.hondapartssource.com/

As for trimming...you probably won't need to, but if you feel like it you can take a bit off them, I wouldn't remove more than 1/3 or so, that'll give you a bit more travel.

Good luck!
Every1 seems obsessed wiff HELMS or wutever its called, ish it like a bible?Some people just cant get it at their local parts shop or any other reason. If they dont have one so wut, isnt this group spossed to be about helping people instead of complaining they dont hab a manual? Some people cant get a freakin HELMS.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lenny_vp
Thank you and I have to say this forum RULES ! ! !
they why are you using smilies from superhonda :squint:

Originally Posted by DUNK_Performanc
Every1 seems obsessed wiff HELMS or wutever its called, ish it like a bible?Some people just cant get it at their local parts shop or any other reason. If they dont have one so wut, isnt this group spossed to be about helping people instead of complaining they dont hab a manual? Some people cant get a freakin HELMS.
Helms is the Factory service manual... which is the same one honda service centers use... it is very detailed and easy to follow. Of course HAN is here to help, but sometimes its easier to just buy a manual instead of waiting here for help on something the rest of us may or may not know, or going to the dealer and paying a premimum price on stuff you can do yourself.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

Helms is an investment, man. a good one at that.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

^ im guessing youre extremely tired to be writing anything b/c that last post was dang hard to read.

www.helminc.com

you can order it from there. and if youre willing to drop a few hundred on paying someone else to install/repair stuff, why not pay <$100 to buy a very well-made manual to DIY and learn something at the same time? we're not tryin to knock you. just giving you a suggestion if you were gonna pay that much money anyway.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by DUNK_Performanc
I did not ask yu to notate that Helms is the replica or wutever of the Honda manual, in many ways its actually isnt, come a good bit close but , wut ever makes yu happy. I said not every1 is capable of just running out and getting one, thats it, yu are overstating and reading tooooo much into wut i said. Good if yu are fortunate ones that have means to lacate and just buy. Some people dont have means of locating such manuals and its harder sumtimes to get hold of one, thats it.So dont be quick to dis-miss people who havent gotten one yet, no matter "how much of an investment" yu think it ish. I dont have one..so wut. But then again i been doin this a way longer time than yu hab , and at a degreed level. If yu can remember , sumtimes yu dont need a manual.
I'm trying to make sense of this...but here goes. The Helms manual IS the Honda factory service manual, not a "replica or wutever". If you walk into a dealer's shop here in the US, that's what they are using.

And as far as everyone getting one...sure, they can, the link to buy one online has been posted 2-3 times on this thread alone.

That's great that you are at a "degreed level" or whatever but not everyone is, so the original poster would probably benefit greatly by it. And good luck trying to memorize the FSM haha.