Notices

Brake Light On

Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 AM
00CRV93Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light On

I'm in Chicago and the temperature has dropped. When I go to warm up the car in the morning, I am noticing that the Brake Light (NOT ABS - ANOTHER ISSUE) stays lit for a longer than is normal. Is this the cold? Perhaps fluid is an issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

oddly enough, this exact same thing just happened to me this morning.

The BRAKE light stuck on and eventually turned itself off after 10 minutes of driving.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 AM
FallenAngelHIM

i actually experienced the same thing a while ago when i first got the car...a while ago being a year ago. my car is a 2000 LX Sedan...i think what happened is that the brake fluid is not leveled. since liquids contract when it is cold, it probably shrinks, when the car heats up, the liquid expands to the level it wants to read at. just so we're on the same page, the light that goes up is the same light that would normally go up when you pull your hand/parking brakes right? if so, just top your brake fluid a bit, don't overfill it, but a bit. yeah this only happens when its cold. nothing i would worry about, unless there is something else someone else can point out?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That warning light sets off for 2 different things, check 'em both.

Handbrake lever has a flimsy little button switch. You might have to dismantle part of the console (depending on year) to check it. Maybe the bracket is bent or something?

Brake fluid reservoir has a float-switch in the cap. Make sure it's not empty... Sometimes the float gets dirty & sticks. Sometimes it just goes bad.

As your brakes wear down, fluid pumps down to the wheels. If the fluid is low, MAYBE(?) your brakes are about worn out. If you fill it all the way now, when you get new brake pads it'll overflow, so just be aware of that if you do your own brakes.