Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Probably a silly question.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:59 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a silly question.

How inconsiderate/loud/against the rules would it be to remove one's muffler?
It sounds like a great idea to me, I must be missing something.

Could I remove my muffler and stay in DStock? I'm guessing not, but it's worth a shot. What class would this place me in?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

I'm glad I'm out here in California where I won't have to hear it.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You'd be kicked out by most regions. As of the past couple of years regions have been implementing sound restrictions because we're loosing autocross sites quickly. So to keep things nice with the neighbors this was put into effect.

Plus you are not going to gain any performance by removing it. And most people will not talk to you because you deafened them.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
TSM

Yeah I was hearing somehting like that at the last event I went to they wanted to kick this guy out for being to loud , But that car was probaly the loudest car I have ever hered

I wouldnt take of you muffler it probaly wont do anything and if it doseit will slow the car down a bit and make it sounds like ass
Old 10-15-2005, 06:44 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Considering all the above, I probably won't consider removing my muffler.

Although, just for discussion:

I usually run with NWOR, and there have been some crazy cars there. I don't even know what to call them - you know, the "insane, definitely not street legal, not even a car" cars? I've heard some noises made that are probably louder than a prelude without a muffler. Perhaps this issue would be better to discuss with people from my region.

About power output - how would this slow me down? It might not be an incredible gain, but would do something. I know this isn't my car, nor does my engine/exhaust have these modifications, but this H22 dyno is what made me consider this whole thing in the first place:

More than 7 hp was gained from removing the already "high flow" Apexi RS (now sold as WS - World Sport) muffler.

I know this still isn't much power - and probably wouldn't help me (of all people ) improve my time, but the argument shouldn't be automatically dismissed. It was worth considering.