Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

how to learn about cars

Old 09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to learn about cars

i want to learn all about the internals of engines, and i am starting by doing what i think is best...reading books on it. my only family members that are mechanics dont have the time to teach me everything, so I have to rely on myself-but I could go to them for a quick question.

is buying an old car and taking it apart to learn about them an awful idea? in theory it would seem possible, but how much tools would I need to disassemble the motor? I have a friend with everything I would need but I cant exactly borrow it for weeks, so what tools would I need to use constantly that i would have to buy and what tools would I need say once, (that I could borrow from a friend)
i fear that with this type of project I would be in over my head, but do you think there is a specific car that is older and easy to idenitify parts and disassemble? I think taking lots of pictures and having a manual would be useful, but where should I start?

thanks in advance just simply putting me in the right direction would be great.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:42 AM
civicburner

I can feel your enthusiam for cars. I feel the same way, so I'm taking a an adult continuing education class. It starts next week Monday. Why don't you try doing that? I'm not talking about a whole 12 month program at a trade school either, it's just a class that teaches the fundamentals - charging system, tune-ups, braking system, etc. And if I like the class and the school then next semester I'll take another class. You should look into it. It really isn't that expensive and I get eight 3 hour sessions
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 AM
mrbkkt1
Aiea, HI

buy a moped, take it apart, cheap! i learned a lot about motors from a moped., then upgrade to pushrods, then ohc, then dohc, then learn about super/turbochargers
Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 PM
S4gunn

Q: If you do buy a cheap car to play with, what are you planning on doing with it?

Consider this: my commuter car provides me with quite a bit of entertainment repairing little things that were neglected by the previous owner and gives me peace of mind when I drive it into SF and leave it there overnight. Sure, some punk might break into the Honda (it has happened twice the month) or some dumbass might back into the bumper but hey - it's the commuter car!

You may have other needs and that should drive your choice in a second car. Examples: track rat, winter car (if they salt your roads), off-roader, dune buggy, drag strip terror, etc. Hell, if you have the cash, perhaps you can buy a kit car (Lotus Seven, Cobra replica, etc.) and the requisite donor vehicle (Mustang 5.0).

While a moped is a great idea to learn how to fix something inexpensively, IMO if you don't live in an urban/campus area where you'll use the thing regularily, it'll just be an expensive toy. Also, if you never drive it, nothing will ever break so you won't have anything to fix

Just my 2 cents.
-g

One last thought: If you are looking for a cheap car that will ALWAYS have something to fix, how about an old VW Beetle Coupe/Convertible? It may not be your style but a friend of mine bought one years ago for $600 and it provided him countless hours of repair time. EVERYTHING is user servicable and quite simplistic but the downside is that you'll always find something to fix. Hell, I remember helping him rebuild the engine on his dining room table - twice.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

so is starting with a sohc starting too quick?
maybe i will look into buyiing something after i take a course or something

also dontyou need an array of expensive tools to rebuild an engine and such

thanx again

if i were to buy a car w/ somthign wrong i would do whatever work and then probably sell it and buy another with a similar problem,of course, if i were to enjoy and succeed with the first
Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 AM
mikesta21
93preludesi

anybody? a car enthusiast website- i should get more than 3 responses
Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

] First and foremost avoid threads like SRI or CAI!

Just kidding if that's your thread everybody...........

But yeah reading is great. Understanding is the hard part. Most manuals are vague as Fvck so you have to have a working knowledge to make sense of those, but there are plenty of other things to read. HowStuffWorks.com is a great source for learning the basics of all kinds of engines and it has many other things of course, like how tires work if you want to get into that more in depth.

Videos and car shows are also your friend, with the exception of Pimp My Ride which is kind of funny, but not a serious car show.

And for the engine question.... start with a cherry picker.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Liberty

Default Here Is How You Learn About Cars

Hi, I also have a passion for cars and here is the best way to learn how to properly understand, diagnose, and repair your vehicle(or anyone's for that matter).

1) You have to read the proper educational material. Automotive technology is not that difficult to learn(even the electrical stuff), but you have to start with excellent educational material. Here is what I recommend:

a) Auto Fundamentals: How and Why of the Design, Construction, and
Operation of Automobiles by Martin W. Stockel, Martin T. Stockel, and
Chris Johanson.

b) Automotive Technology: Principles, Diagnosis, and Service by James D.
Halderman(This one also comes in a Canadian edition; That's the one
that I have)

c) Auto Diagnosis, Service, and Repair by Martin W. Stockel, Martin T.
Stockel, and Chris Johanson.

d) Go to www.Helminc.com and purchase the actual service manuals for
your vehicle. I purchased my Honda Prelude service manuals there and
they are indispensible for working your car.

e) Get the Chilton manual for your car as well. They are also indispensible.

f) Go to http://www.delmarlearning.com/ and go to the automotive
section. They have a lot of excellent training products for those of us
interested in learning automotive technology, diagnosis, and service.

g) I have also started doing work on my own car.

THat's what I recommend. If you are serious about learning this stuff and you have a proper place to work on your car, you shouldn't have to take you car to another mechanic for service ever again.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 AM
mrbkkt1
Aiea, HI

Originally Posted by S4gunn
Q: If you do buy a cheap car to play with, what are you planning on doing with it?

Consider this: my commuter car provides me with quite a bit of entertainment repairing little things that were neglected by the previous owner and gives me peace of mind when I drive it into SF and leave it there overnight. Sure, some punk might break into the Honda (it has happened twice the month) or some dumbass might back into the bumper but hey - it's the commuter car!

You may have other needs and that should drive your choice in a second car. Examples: track rat, winter car (if they salt your roads), off-roader, dune buggy, drag strip terror, etc. Hell, if you have the cash, perhaps you can buy a kit car (Lotus Seven, Cobra replica, etc.) and the requisite donor vehicle (Mustang 5.0).

While a moped is a great idea to learn how to fix something inexpensively, IMO if you don't live in an urban/campus area where you'll use the thing regularily, it'll just be an expensive toy. Also, if you never drive it, nothing will ever break so you won't have anything to fix

Just my 2 cents.
-g

One last thought: If you are looking for a cheap car that will ALWAYS have something to fix, how about an old VW Beetle Coupe/Convertible? It may not be your style but a friend of mine bought one years ago for $600 and it provided him countless hours of repair time. EVERYTHING is user servicable and quite simplistic but the downside is that you'll always find something to fix. Hell, I remember helping him rebuild the engine on his dining room table - twice.
you can buy a used honda elite for cheap. i bored mine out, put bigger piston, and learned the basics w/ a 100 dollar moped. learn the basics of compression and pistons, and air to fuel tuning on this, and then it will open up a path. you should treat it like a toy. and learn from it!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:43 AM
97civicEXVTEC

stay on han all day and read every post