Notices

LS/Vtec Swap...suggestions?

Old 08-14-2005, 11:15 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/Vtec Swap...suggestions?

hey everyone,

I have a supercharged LS making abour 7-8lbs...i've read that i have to choose between the supercharger or the vtec because of compression issues with both. Is it possible to have a supercharged LS/Vtec without absolutely killing the motor? and if so...what extra mods would i put in to keep it normal. injectors, fuel pump, pistons, rods, valve springs etc etc?
thanks in advance for ur help
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
LStegraTurbo

whats does your car run now with just the supercharger, and bout how much was the kit to do it?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:19 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i don't know yet...haven't had the time or money to get to a track or dyno...the kit was somewhere around 1400 installed...but it was a couple years ago...so it could be 100 less or more
Old 08-14-2005, 01:50 PM
VTEC-Power

Ofcourse it is possible, it is almost like turboing a LS/VTEC
Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

In addition to the work required to fit a VTEC head onto your LS block, I'd upgrade the bottom end.

Specifically, I'd replace the factory rod bolts with ARP bolts, upgrade to the GSR oil pump and install the GSR's crankshaft main bearing girdle. All of these modifications will help maintain reliabilty at high-rpm use.

What will you use to manage the engine. You'll need a VTEC ECU to control the VTEC head, but if you're using an add-on computers to manage the supercharger and fuel enrichment, it may be easier to upgrade to programmable ECU (like AEM's EMS series, for example).

In terms of rough setup, I'd switch to the VTEC cams at around 4500K and to be super-conservative about engine longevity, I'd limit myself to about 7800 rpm, despite the rod bolt upgrade and bottom end reinforcements.

My 2.3¥

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:59 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i would be switching to a vtec ECU definately, i have no additional add ons for boost control or fuel etc. do u suggest that i go with a virgin ECU and have it programmed or just go straight to a 1.8vtec ECU.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by tegbooster
i would be switching to a vtec ECU definately, i have no additional add ons for boost control or fuel etc. do u suggest that i go with a virgin ECU and have it programmed or just go straight to a 1.8vtec ECU.
Then how the heck are you maintaining the correct air/fuel ratio? :eh:
Which supercharger are you running? JRSC?..

Don't tell me you're running an Ebay leaf blower...

To answer your question:
Chipping the stock ECU gets expensive very quickly. Plus you have the down-time while the ECU is out being re-chipped. A user-programmable ECU is much more flexible.

If your state allows the use of an aftermarket, programmable ECU (again, like the AEM EMS I mentioned earlier), then IMHO it is the best solution to manage your setup.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

it's a JRSC...and i do have the higher flowing fuel pump....but besides that....nothin
Old 08-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Feelsgr82bealiv

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
In addition to the work required to fit a VTEC head onto your LS block, I'd upgrade the bottom end.

Specifically, I'd replace the factory rod bolts with ARP bolts, upgrade to the GSR oil pump and install the GSR's crankshaft main bearing girdle. All of these modifications will help maintain reliabilty at high-rpm use.

What will you use to manage the engine. You'll need a VTEC ECU to control the VTEC head, but if you're using an add-on computers to manage the supercharger and fuel enrichment, it may be easier to upgrade to programmable ECU (like AEM's EMS series, for example).

In terms of rough setup, I'd switch to the VTEC cams at around 4500K and to be super-conservative about engine longevity, I'd limit myself to about 7800 rpm, despite the rod bolt upgrade and bottom end reinforcements.

My 2.3¥
Please tell me if the part about using the GSR's main bearing girdle is true.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:40 PM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

What dave said is true.. but on some of the readouts.. you can possible make more power doing just ls/vtec.. rather then supercharged ls.. it'd be better anyway..

"In terms of rough setup, I'd switch to the VTEC cams at around 4500K and to be super-conservative about engine longevity, I'd limit myself to about 7800 rpm, despite the rod bolt upgrade and bottom end reinforcements."
-This is correct but building ls/vtec would require some internals to be worked do the fact the rod/piston ratio on vtec in a ls motor wouldn't work if you were to say use ls rods and gsr pistons or itr or ctr.. doesn't matter you would make more power and possible have longer life, make sure you save some money ont he side to upgrade your head studs and rod bolts.. THIS IS A MUST ON THIS SETUP..

"Specifically, I'd replace the factory rod bolts with ARP bolts, upgrade to the GSR oil pump and install the GSR's crankshaft main bearing girdle. All of these modifications will help maintain reliabilty at high-rpm use."
Stock ls/vtecs should have no problem reving out to about 8200k if your using a gsr head, b16 heads i wouldn't take pass 8000k, i'd suggest leaving the gsr oil pump stock no need to change that cause alot of people are still making 300+ whp on stock oil and water pumps.. it is a safety issuse but not a must.

"Then how the heck are you maintaining the correct air/fuel ratio?
Which supercharger are you running? JRSC?.."
JRSC makes a programmable ecu FMU..
Just switch heads and get the supercharger that bolts up to the vtec head if the ls one doesn't bolt up and get the JRSC FMU for the vtec and u'll be setup, its setup basically to run straight out the box.

Great info all around tho, that is my two cent.