Notices

Having problem go above 65mph

Old 06-04-2005, 09:41 AM
duzaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problem go above 65mph

98 V6 just started having problem go above 65mph. I hit the gas, the rpm seems having problem go above 2500. What could be wrong?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Beeline

Originally Posted by duzaha
98 V6 just started having problem go above 65mph. I hit the gas, the rpm seems having problem go above 2500. What could be wrong?

Classic Post.

Do you have tools and an Accord manual?

if no, see a mechanic.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:00 PM
BONE

What actually happens at 65 mph is the car hesitating, does it cut out completely be more specific.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beeline
Classic Post.

Do you have tools and an Accord manual?

if no, see a mechanic.
Don't be an ass :slap: This forum is here so people who don't have tools or a manual can ask people that have the manual and/or knowledge. One of us can spend 5 mins of our time helping him determine the problem and if he can fix it himself so that he doesn't have to get ass raped by the Honda dealer for hundreds of dollars.

Like bone said, you need to be way more specific about what happens and if it happens at any other speed (is it entirely related to the RPMs being 2500?). Search alldata to see if there is a TSB for this, if memory serves me there might be. If not I can look it up in my service manual when you provide us a more detailed description.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:11 PM
duzaha

First of all, thanks for everyone reply to my post.

This morning when I was cruising on the highway, I started feeling when I push the gas padel, the car seems struggling go above 65 mph. Under 65 mph, the car is running fine. When I pushed the gas padel hard and try to pick up speed, the RPM doesn't go above 2500rpm. The car is not stalling or quiting and runs fine under 65mph. Drivable. It just seems the speed limit on the car is set to 65 and RPM limit is set at 2500 and won't let me go beyond it. I have a 98 V6 Auto with 111k on it. I had the dealer flush the transmission about a month ago (Drain and Fill 3 times) and not sure if the problem is tranny related. The car had an oil change, new oil filter, and air filter about 2k miles ago. If the tranny starts slipping, the RPM should go up. The car is not over heating. One of the cooling FAN makes a noice when it comes on, dealer told me to replace it. I've not done it yet. The check engine light is not on. Hope I provided enough details.

Hao.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by duzaha
First of all, thanks for everyone reply to my post.

This morning when I was cruising on the highway, I started feeling when I push the gas padel, the car seems struggling go above 65 mph. Under 65 mph, the car is running fine. When I pushed the gas padel hard and try to pick up speed, the RPM doesn't go above 2500rpm. The car is not stalling or quiting and runs fine under 65mph. Drivable. It just seems the speed limit on the car is set to 65 and RPM limit is set at 2500 and won't let me go beyond it. I have a 98 V6 Auto with 111k on it. I had the dealer flush the transmission about a month ago (Drain and Fill 3 times) and not sure if the problem is tranny related. The car had an oil change, new oil filter, and air filter about 2k miles ago. If the tranny starts slipping, the RPM should go up. The car is not over heating. One of the cooling FAN makes a noice when it comes on, dealer told me to replace it. I've not done it yet. The check engine light is not on. Hope I provided enough details.

Hao.
does it sound/feel like a fuel cut or is it more like a loss in power

does the tach jump around at 2500 when at 65 mph...
Old 06-04-2005, 07:20 PM
duzaha

Doesn't feel I am loosing power. I didn't pay attention to the sound, so not sure it sounds like a fuel cut. But my wife had the Climate Control turn on at 60. So the AC was working pretty hard at the time. It's late now, I will try to drive the car tomorrow with no AC on and see if I can get higher above 65mph. BTW, the battery was replaced 5 months ago.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

im pretty sure im wrong but would it be the speed sensor or o2 sensor?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:14 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by wedley2
im pretty sure im wrong but would it be the speed sensor or o2 sensor?
o2 sensor wouldn't do it, and I don't believe the speed sensor would either.

Please pay attention better and, obviously, try it with the AC off. This will give us a better idea. The sound it makes is very important.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:14 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Also, try to go above 65MPH in 3rd gear. Let us know what happens then.

Don't worry about damaging anything, 3rd gear will run all the way up to 105-107MPH.

To stay in third gear just pop the shifter down into D3. You don't need to press the button, the shifter freely slides from [N]-[D4]-[D3]