Notices

S2K questions

Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 AM
RSXt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K questions

I am looking to get a S2K here in the near future, just have some questions.

Regardless of it being new or used, is there a year that is more beneficial to get?

Also, I am looking to do a turbo. How strong is the S2k head stock, would building the block for 15-20psi max every now and then be ok, or have there been problems with the heads? Along those lines, how does the rear end hold up with added power?

Also, how has yours aged over the years, I know its a Honda, but any issues with these cars?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:57 AM
D_Nyholm

I'd be interested in these questions as well. It would be nice if we could buy a S2000 for $20K and throw a turbo or supercharger on it for another $6K or so and have a nice track car that is still good at autocrossing!!

How are the rods/pistons/crank in the car? I am assuming they aren't forged?? I'll be reading this forum as much as I can so hopefully i'll have most of the answers, but anything more can always help!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

General consensus is to buy a 02' if you are in the used market. Of course with US S2 prices being so low, why not get a 04' or 05' if you don't mind the lower redline. Some people complain about the tranny but mine is a MY00 and it's fine. Just take care of the synchros. Shift 1-2-3-4-5-6, not 1-3-6.

Be careful with the car. It's a handful with no mods, especially when the weather is bad. The first mod I recommend for new drivers is to replace the rear tires with 245's.

It's good on the track without a supercharger or turbo. More about driver's skill. Doug Hayashi, an amateur racer, from nsxfiles.com raced his near stock s2 (straight pipe w/hoosiers) and was nearly lapping as fast as a supercharged s2000. With that said, he would probably do even better with a s/c'd s2.

I don't think you need a turbo for autocrossing as that is more about driver skill. On the circuit more power will definately get you into more trouble if you do not have the experience.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
s2k jimbo

02 for used buyers since it has a rear glass window and silver ring'd taillights, but to be honest any S is wonderful, i have a 01 and i replaced everything
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
D_Nyholm

The only problem I have with the car is that even with a supercharger or turbo, it isn't really that fast without boosting the crap out of it!! I want a car that will run consistent 13.2's or better at the drag strip, be good at autocrossing, and even better at track events. The S2000 fits except for the 1/4 mile time. I know it isn't a drag car, but it would be nice to be able to keep up with my friends GTO. I'm looking at used M3's as well, but I don't feel i'll have as much fun at the autocross in that situation.

Man, life is hard! I hate too many choices!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
The only problem I have with the car is that even with a supercharger or turbo, it isn't really that fast without boosting the crap out of it!! I want a car that will run consistent 13.2's or better at the drag strip, be good at autocrossing, and even better at track events. The S2000 fits except for the 1/4 mile time. I know it isn't a drag car, but it would be nice to be able to keep up with my friends GTO. I'm looking at used M3's as well, but I don't feel i'll have as much fun at the autocross in that situation.

Man, life is hard! I hate too many choices!!
the s2000 is king on the track my girlfriends father had one and then owned a m3, a z3 and now owns a TL and he has said that he had more fun in the honda than any other car he has owned

your friends GTO may rape you in a strightline from a stop but you'll pretty much pull even once you are in the top end if i'm not mistaken and in the twisties he'll be eating your dust.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
D_Nyholm

Unfortunately, the GTO will get a 13.2 1/4 mile at 107 mph or so. The S2000 is lucky to trap 100. The GTO will just keep on pulling up to its 168 mph top speed!! Hopefully a supercharger will get 108-110 traps to make up for the torque deficit, but I don't think so!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the GTO will get a 13.2 1/4 mile at 107 mph or so. The S2000 is lucky to trap 100. The GTO will just keep on pulling up to its 168 mph top speed!! Hopefully a supercharger will get 108-110 traps to make up for the torque deficit, but I don't think so!
...that's great. The GTO is also big, heavy and would get its ass kicked on a tight road course. Plus it's conservatively styled at best. They're two totally different cars. People don't buy S2Ks to drag race them against cars with engines that are 3 times larger.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
D_Nyholm

That isn't really what I was trying to say. I was more or less posing a question to see if the car may be able to perform in a straight line like the GTO??? I know that in the twisties the S2K will take out the GTO.

I'd like to have a car with the power of a GTO with the agility of the S2K. I haven't really found an affordable car that can do that though. GRRRR
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

That isn't really what I was trying to say. I was more or less posing a question to see if the car may be able to perform in a straight line like the GTO??? I know that in the twisties the S2K will take out the GTO.

I'd like to have a car with the power of a GTO with the agility of the S2K. I haven't really found an affordable car that can do that though. GRRRR
It’s all about driver skill. A GTO isn’t that bad on winding roads. It’s a horrible stereotype that all American cars can’t handle.

If you want the s2 to be great at drag racing, autocross and circuit racing then I’m afraid you will have to spend a lot of money. Why not just save for a Z06 (although not sure about it’s autocross performance…no idea). Personally, I had an e46 M3 and it was remarkable on many different automotive fronts but it lacked the top-down aggressive race-car feel of the s2.

An s2000 can have even greater low-end with final gears. I believe quarter mile is lowered from stock 13.9-14.1 to the mid 13s. It’s about $1000 w/install. Best bang for buck mod but you do drive at approx 5k rpm at 70mph on the highway in 6th, about 500 rpm higher than stock gear ratios.