Notices

wierd vibration after short shifter install

Old 05-04-2005, 12:31 PM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd vibration after short shifter install

last weekend i did a b&m short shifter with skunk 2 440g billet knob. also an energy susp. urathane bushing kit. everything went realy smooth but now at hight rpm's like above 5000 it is making this wierd vibration noise. its kinda loud and its starting to piss me off. anyone have this problem and know what it is? i have checked all bolts for correct torque settings so that all checks out.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
sleepin

Did you re-grease the ball when you installed the shifter? Shift knob screwed on tight? Vibration coming from the shifter itself or the console or underneath the car?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
eonsx311

yes i did grease it very thoroughly. cleaned all old nasty grease out and replaced with some nice white lithium grease supplied by b&m. the rattle is hard to pinpoint but it also makes the noise when in neutral moving the shifter side to side. its defintly coming from underneath and traveling up stick. i can sorta feel it when its happening too.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
sleepin

Originally Posted by eonsx311
yes i did grease it very thoroughly. cleaned all old nasty grease out and replaced with some nice white lithium grease supplied by b&m. the rattle is hard to pinpoint but it also makes the noise when in neutral moving the shifter side to side. its defintly coming from underneath and traveling up stick. i can sorta feel it when its happening too.

I think you are just feeling a vibration that may have already been there, that is now more apperent through the euro bushing. the euro bushing is much stiffer than stock and the rubber may have been absorbing the vibration and the euro bushing transfers it through the stick.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM
eonsx311

i cant feel it more than i can hear it, its like a metal on metal click. i know i would feel more when i installed the bushing kit, it was expected. im just trying to pinpoint the noise based on other peoples experiences with a short shifter install without having to put my car up on jack stands to diagnose the problem.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
sleepin

Originally Posted by eonsx311
i cant feel it more than i can hear it, its like a metal on metal click. i know i would feel more when i installed the bushing kit, it was expected. im just trying to pinpoint the noise based on other peoples experiences with a short shifter install without having to put my car up on jack stands to diagnose the problem.
Is there any play between the shiftlinkage fork and the shifter(where the 2 connect)?

I have done a few installs and havnt had any noise problems, but then again I never used a B&M. I will hopefully be putting in a skunk shifter into the civic I will be picking up tonight, this weekend.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
eonsx311

i dont really know yet, gonna get under my car on sunday likely and have some one move the shifter to make the noise im hearing so i can figure out where it is coming from. then disassemble and LUBE IT UP!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Mr_Goodbar

I just installed a dc short shifter and the vibration keeps rattling the set screws loose in my knob even with thred loc. I only hear it around 4500 rpm. I do have a really crappy knob that im now going to have to replace
Old 05-04-2005, 04:10 PM
eonsx311

yeah my knob is in good shape, im gonna check where the change rod connects to the tranny, i might not have lubed that gromet thing when i put the new bushings in. easy fix if thats the prob.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the same thing happened to me when i installed a short shifter on my civic. i heard that the B&M ones are notorious for rattling.