Notices

help - painting entire car

Old 05-01-2005, 10:07 AM
duder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - painting entire car

i was wondering how much buckets do i need for the primer, base coat & clear coat??

i have a 93 honda civic lx... thinking of painting it midnight blue, deep blue, or pearl blue.... haven't decided yet :thinking:

thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 10:27 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

buckets? uhhh.... i have a suggestion, take it to a shop and spend the money. If your asking how many "buckets" instead of how many quarts or pints....yeah you have no clue what your doing and you will mess up the car and the paint job. There is WAAAAAAY too much stuff to do when you paint a car. Take it to a shop....
Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

5 buckets of each. just dump them onto the car one at a time. :reechy:
Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 AM
duder

Default whatever

anyways... anyone who's not a jerk here that can help me?

how many PINTS of paint will i need... i've been reading this site for a some time and i know all about the prep, sanding, and all that, my dad even has an air compresser pump and spray gun....

i just want to avoid going back and forth for more paint

THANKS
Old 05-01-2005, 11:48 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

You should also have a paint booth, as in a place where no dust can get in, or atleast a place where it is extremely clean! And if you say a garage, well goodluck, ive seen a couple of people pull it off....not in real life but pictures so i dont know how good the paint really is in a garage.

im not trying to be a jerk, i am being helpful by telling you to take it to a shop. If you have to ask question on how much paint obviously you dont know , enough and should learn. *TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, GO TO A PLACE WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO BUY YOUR PAINT, ASK THEM HOW MUCH THEY THINK YOU NEED*

How much paint you need VARIES, whether you just sanded down to bare metal or you just basically sanded the old paint to apply the new one IT VARIES!!!!

TAKE IT TO A SHOP, you have no clue what your doing, painting your own car doesnt take a couple of days, it takes weeks.... prepping takes a long long time, and painting itself and letting the paint cure right takes a couple of days, not to mention all the after painting stuff you should do for a good paint job *color sanding, buffing, etc...

Ive been working on a car for school for 2 weeks and im just getting done the prepping part for the car, im about to spray primer in the next couple of days, so yes i do know how to paint a car, and hence why im telling you to go take it to a shop
Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

First off, you dont need that much paint. 2-3 pints for a compact car is already more than you'll ever need.

Secondly, you'll need more than just paint. You'll need primer, reducer and clear coat. You'll need to figure out how much reducer to how much paint depending on what kind of paint you get.

Third, PREPARATION. Painting your car is not easy. It is 90% preparing, 10% painting. If there are any flaws...even very small ones, they will be magnified 100% when the paint goes on.

Fourth, TOOLS and experience. Do you know how to colorsand/wetsand? Do you have a clean place to paint in? Do you have the proper mixture and spray guns?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Bricks2k4civic

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
5 buckets of each. just dump them onto the car one at a time. :reechy:
Be sure to alternate - one bucket of primer wait until it's dry, then one bucket of clear coat, then repeat.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 AM
twinring

Painting a car is a chore, You need to know how to prepare the surface to be painted which includes wet sanding the car etc. you need to learn how to use a viscosity cup and to clean and adjust your gun. Clear coat isnt really necessary if you know how to paint. The gun must spray constant velocity as full as possible. The paint must be saturated onto the surface and applied very wet. If not, the car will have a dull finish. In addition to this the temperature and humidity of the atmosphere is important and only an experienced painter would know. There might be some additives that need to be used to avoid many common paint flaws, fisheyes, orange peel etc and is dependant on the type of paint you choose. parts of the car need to be masked. Your equipment must be up to the task, a small compressor wont cut it if it cant supply you with the pressure needed constantly. Pressure drops will cause variation in the application. Ive never painted a car myself but Ive helped my close friend paint cars and he does this for a living. Ive seen him spend 2 weeks prepping cars and painting them only to have dust or sweat ruin his entire project forcing him to resand and buy more paint.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:16 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Originally Posted by twinring
Painting a car is a chore, You need to know how to prepare the surface to be painted which includes wet sanding the car etc. you need to learn how to use a viscosity cup and to clean and adjust your gun. Clear coat isnt really necessary if you know how to paint. The gun must spray constant velocity as full as possible. The paint must be saturated onto the surface and applied very wet. If not, the car will have a dull finish. In addition to this the temperature and humidity of the atmosphere is important and only an experienced painter would know. There might be some additives that need to be used to avoid many common paint flaws, fisheyes, orange peel etc and is dependant on the type of paint you choose. parts of the car need to be masked. Your equipment must be up to the task, a small compressor wont cut it if it cant supply you with the pressure needed constantly. Pressure drops will cause variation in the application. Ive never painted a car myself but Ive helped my close friend paint cars and he does this for a living. Ive seen him spend 2 weeks prepping cars and painting them only to have dust or sweat ruin his entire project forcing him to resand and buy more paint.
I have been painting cars for 10 years now and you really don't know what you are talking about.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
duder

Default re:

ok, i apologized for the jerk remark, i realize you're just concerned about the well being of my baby(the car), thank you... and thanks to everyone else for the advice... except for snoopy, you can kiss my @ss, haha... just playing