Notices

upgrades

Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Mr_Goodbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades

Im totally new to this stuff so bear with me. I have a 97 civc DX coupe thats totally paid for with 100k miles. I think that it would be more cost efficient to just swap engines when this one craps out but i want my car to be fun to drive now. I want to put coilovers, wheels and tires, sway bars, and better brakes on now to at least improve ride handling. My question is if i get upgrade parts such as exhaust, intake, etc., will they be easily interchangeable with the new engine? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

intake - depends

exhaust- should fit fine

header - from d to b - no
Old 04-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Mr_Goodbar

thanks that helps. I wouldnt get the headers until i swapped anyways. and i take it that i should be fine with the suspension stuff.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:20 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

The suspension stuff will in all likelihood be fine.

Intake is USUALLY okay.

Headers definetly not unless you swap another D.

Suspension+steering+brakes are the most fun upgrades anyway instead of speed it just makes it more fun to drive
Old 04-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Mr_Goodbar

can I put power steering on my civic DX or is that just a stupid idea cuz its pretty small as im sure everyone knows?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

FYI, exhaust pipes may also not fit. If you have a HX, VX or CX, whatever you bolt in there that fits those engines won't fit any other D-series unless you replace everything all the way up to the head. No D - B series intakes, intake or exhaust manifolds are interchangeable across engine codes. D-series fits D-series, B-series fits B-series.

Power steering is possible but you need to replace the rack and that's a crappy job. You're better off without it anyway, your car only weighs 2300 lbs.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:51 PM
meunit910

Why bother adding power steering. I don't thinks its worth the money if your car doesnt have it. An when you swap you will be moving faster with the rpower steering, Depending on which motor you get.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by meunit910
I don't thinks its worth the money if your car doesnt have it.
Correct. There are DX model civics that came with power steering, so it will add literally nothing to your car's value. The manual rack is also more popular with the racers and tweakers because of the turning radius and lighter weight.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 PM
SmartySarty

Originally Posted by Jafro
FYI, exhaust pipes may also not fit. If you have a HX, VX or CX, whatever you bolt in there that fits those engines won't fit any other D-series unless you replace everything all the way up to the head. No D - B series intakes, intake or exhaust manifolds are interchangeable across engine codes. D-series fits D-series, B-series fits B-series.

Power steering is possible but you need to replace the rack and that's a crappy job. You're better off without it anyway, your car only weighs 2300 lbs.
Exhuast for that car is fine thats what they invented saws, flanges and welders for...............

Not header tho
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 AM
Mr_Goodbar

ya thats what i wanted to know about the exhaust; if it could be modded w/out a problem. I have acess to some TIG welders at my uncles shop and i figured that the header would definitely not fit. thnx for the help guys.