Notices

Synchro springs

Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
robert f thomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synchro springs

I put a note in the WTB adds but I am adding a note here to catch more viewers.
I am putting the main shaft of my 1990 LS "S-1" tranny back together and crunched the top "syunchro spring". This item looks like a tiny piston ring. It fits inside the synchro ring.
It is not sold by itself. Honda/Acura say I must buy a synchro set for $160.00. This is not fair.
If anyone who works on transmissions has an extra synchro spring from an LS B18 tranny please let me know at boltwestpalm@aol.com. I will pay good money and shipping (please not $160.00). Big thanks to all.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

i have an extra tranny but the caseing is broken. I dont know what part your talking about. You just want the synchro or a part from the synchro?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
robert f thomas

hello teg92, The "Synchro Spring" is so tiny you might miss it at first glance. You have to be inside the casing. If you look at the 2 tall shafts one will be topped with a bearing apature, the other shaft will be capped with a locknut.
The part is on the main shaft - the one with the bearing on the top. If you look at that shaft you will notice 3 brass rings with brass spokes. They will look shiny because the other items are dark metal. If you look closely at the brass spokes you will notice a ring running around the outside diameter. You might not see them at first because they look like they are the bottom edge of the brass rings. The "synchro springs" do not look like "springs". They look more like small piston rings.
Do you have access to the inside of your housing?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

ya the housing is off but theres just sooo many things inside the tranny that i dont know whitch one your talking about ill take a closer look at it tomarrow
Old 03-12-2005, 10:49 AM
carta79
Life after death

I'm not sure that the part is actually called a syncro spring. I don't seem to understand what your talking about.

Is the part your looking for visible in this picture?

#8 23623-PS1-315 SLEEVE SET (3-4) 1 1990 Acura INTEGRA $214.38
#9 23626-PS1-315 SLEEVE SET (5) 1 1990 Acura INTEGRA $157.13
Old 03-12-2005, 11:49 AM
robert f thomas

Thanks carta79. I see the pieces for which I am searching.
#8 the item (synchro spring) is in 2 places - 2nd from left and 5th from left.
#9 the item is 2nd from the left.

I am referring to the item as "synchro springs" because the '90 repair manual blowout picture uses that name. I don't think you will find this name in the current parts catalogues because they are hidden in the synchro "sets".
If you look at the main shaft look for the brass pieces. Then look closely for a thin grey metal ring near the outter edge of the brass rings. That is the part I am searching. Wow am I up the crick. Any help is appreciated believe me. I still can't beleive I crunched the darn thing. I was watching one side and the "spring" popped out on the other side just as I gave a whack on the 5th gear and cccrruuunnnccchhh!!!!!!! Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

took some pics today, just make me an offer and ill sell everything except the caseing if you dont want it. If these are the parts your looking for

Last edited by teg92; 01-03-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 PM
slapmaho

Anyone have any suggestions on books for rebuilding B18B1 tranny,
I have never worked on transmission before, but nearly everything
else I have worked on, is this something I should be trying to do
myself?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:11 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Originally Posted by slapmaho
Anyone have any suggestions on books for rebuilding B18B1 tranny,
I have never worked on transmission before, but nearly everything
else I have worked on, is this something I should be trying to do
myself?
a tranny is a very complicated thing to rebuild, there are just soooo many little parts and if there not assembled right there goes your tranny. I would leave it for the professionals
Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 AM
robert f thomas

Hi Teg92, I am getting some asst. here in S.FLA. from IsotoJr. I am stopping by his shop today to see if we can match my "synchro ring" to one of his many "synchro springs". HAHA.
After looking at your pictures I can tell you the part I am seeking goes hand in hand with the brass synchro rings in the last picture. The "synchro spring" is a metal band that fits around the brass rings. It is real thin and looks like a piston ring.
I am hoping to find a match today. If there are further complications I'll give you a holler. Thanks so much for your help and wish me luck!!!! Thanks.