Notices

Air box removal

Old 03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Idolcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box removal

I know this is probably a stupid question, and I may get flamed for this, but here goes. I recently had a thread where I was trying to install an SRI, but it wouldn't fit. I think for now I'd like to keep the filter and sell the rest on eBay (or with the filter if it would yield much more money), but I'd have to remove the airbox (at least fully) to get the filter to fit. Is this a good idea on a stock intake? It seems a tad flimsy.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:13 PM
carta79
Life after death

So you want to fit an aftermarket filter on the stock rubber air tube and remove the airbox.

:eh: Good luck with that. Flimsy would definitely be the word for it. I wouldn't do it personally, just sell the intake and filter as a unit. Or if you could find just an aftermarket SRI tube that fits your Integra, that would work.

The air box aides in keeping your filter clean and pressurizes air as it enters the filter. My car is somewhat modified and I still have my stock air box.

Here's a look at what my intake setup looks like. (Note: This isn't my car)
Image taken from: www.automotivetech.org

OEM ITR stock intake
K&N E2427 filter
Comptech icebox (in the mail)
Old 03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Idolcrash

Okay, thanks. I see a lot of Bomz intakes for about 20 USD (at the most), are they really all that good, it seems really cheap for an intake (a brand-name one, no less)? I don't have much money right now, and I'm planning on saving for an Ice Box anyways, so I don't know if I should stick with the stock for now, and hold on to whatever money I could get from the intake I have now (selling on eBay), or sell it and use the money for a cheap short ram for now and wait a bit longer for the Ice Box?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:08 PM
carta79
Life after death

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with running stock for awhile. I like the stock look over those inexpensive BOMZ intakes. Generally an intake tube is an intake tube, they basically all perform the same. My advice to you would be to hold out for the icebox. Save your money and try and sell that intake setup for some fast cash. You will not be disappointed with the icebox unless you like an audible intake.

Patience and Research will help you when you modify your car in the future.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Im also keeping by stock intake and just getting a K&K air filter
Old 03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these short ram intakes on ebay worth getting? I need to replace the short ram on my '94 GSR because it has been rubbing against some metal lines (for the AC system I think). I don't think it is the right one for my car. Anyway, are these intakes worth $20 or whatever, or should I look at an AEM from ebay?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 PM
bostonteg

Default Zip ties...

try using plastic zip ties to pull ur intake off away from the ac piping...i had the same problem...and plastic zip ties pulled them off and to the side, so basically doesnt touch the piping and doesnt get the hot air right off of the engine
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 AM
red96Integra805

ive got a similar setup...but i took off my stock airbox.. i just have the filter plugged into the stock intake tube..

would it be better to put it like this one is?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:18 AM
carta79
Life after death

Originally Posted by red96Integra805
ive got a similar setup...but i took off my stock airbox.. i just have the filter plugged into the stock intake tube..

would it be better to put it like this one is?
I think the reason the airbox was off in that picture was to show off the new K&N OEM replacement filter. The way I look at it is, if you have the airbox off all it's doing is sucking in hot air & dirt from the engine bay. (You ever notice how dirt builds around the spark plug wires on a LS engines)

Taking the airbox off would be worse than the original stock setup in my opinion. I believe that people remove this airbox to simulate the sound heard from aftermarket intakes.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:22 AM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

either keep the stock airbox and do a k&n, comptech icebox, or CAI....i personally have the CAI and its nice but i should have got the icebox instead...CAI give me a headache when the wheather is bad