Notices

Bosting on a 95 mm crank

Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM
reynosop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosting on a 95 mm crank

i have my motor already built, this is what i have.

B18A Block ( 95mm crank by eagle, 84 mm bore size JE 10.1 comp, H beam rods, Rs sleeves)

B18C1 GSR head (Skunk2 : Reatainers, springs, CTR, sprokets, Jg 1mm bigger valves, Port and polish and SKUNK MANIFOLD , BBK Throuthle 70mm, stock HG

B18C5 Tranny LSD, fidenza light flywheel, Exedy 6 pug Xtreme presure plate

Fuel: AEM Fuel Rail, RC injectors 750 cc, Aem Fuel Filter, Fuel pump,
Ignitino: MSD 6 digital,

turbo: T3/T4 .57 trim, tial wastegaet, 2.5 DP, Apex N1, Straight pipe, XS Dual Stage MPC, HONDATA, Nos Ncoller .

I just wanted to see if any out there has ever boosted with a 95 mm crank, thats all.. wanted to see what type of number they got? and how far have they reved there motor?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
dubcac
I

I wouldn't go very high on a 95mm stroke. Maybe 8k max, especially on boost. Be careful with vibration of the rotating assembly under boost with a stroke that large.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 PM
reynosop

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
I wouldn't go very high on a 95mm stroke. Maybe 8k max, especially on boost. Be careful with vibration of the rotating assembly under boost with a stroke that large.

cool, i just bought a Fluidampr to minimise that problem
Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by reynosop
cool, i just bought a Fluidampr to minimise that problem
It'll help somewhat...but I'd be even more conservative about revs. 7K gives you a lot of powerband to work with. Besides, beyond 7500 or so, volumetric efficiency is gonna fall off because of time needed to fill such a large cylinder volume.

That said, this sounds like one hell of a motor :rick:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
reynosop

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
It'll help somewhat...but I'd be even more conservative about revs. 7K gives you a lot of powerband to work with. Besides, beyond 7500 or so, volumetric efficiency is gonna fall off because of time needed to fill such a large cylinder volume.

That said, this sounds like one hell of a motor :rick:
heres the guy w the same set up

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1138798
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
dubcac
I

He has a dart tall block though, which allows him to run longer rods and increase the rod to stroke ration, in turn allowing him to rev higher.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
reynosop

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
He has a dart tall block though, which allows him to run longer rods and increase the rod to stroke ration, in turn allowing him to rev higher.
would having a longer rod ration be more prone to braking down do to it traveling more on the cylender walls. ?
my piston are custome made at a higher wrist pin, and the rods are set at a stock LS ration 5.394, i also run the same risk
Old 03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by reynosop
would having a longer rod ration be more prone to braking down , do to it to traveling more on the cylender walls. ?
my piston are custom made at a higher wrist pin, and the rods are set at a stock LS ration 5.394, i also run the same risk
A longer rod ratio is desireable because the piston stays at TDC longer, so the force of the combustion can be absorbed better by the piston and the longer stroke gives it more time to fill the cylinders and thus improve volumetric efficiency. The gradual acceleration from TDC and BDC with a longer stroke puts less stress on engine parts escpecially cylinder walls. Formula 1 cars have stroke to rod ratios well over 2:1 and they can rev like no other. 1.7:1 is considered ideal.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
reynosop

Originally Posted by Shmoo
A longer rod ratio is desireable because the piston stays at TDC longer, so the force of the combustion can be absorbed better by the piston and the longer stroke gives it more time to fill the cylinders and thus improve volumetric efficiency. The gradual acceleration from TDC and BDC with a longer stroke puts less stress on engine parts escpecially cylinder walls. Formula 1 cars have stroke to rod ratios well over 2:1 and they can rev like no other. 1.7:1 is considered ideal.
yeah ! i understand that too. This is what i did to my gsr head since i know the comp ratio raises with 10.1 comp piston that i have . I machining material out of the combustion chamber. This is equivalent to running a larger dish on the piston, more volume @ TDC = lower compression ratio, with a .060 HG
Old 03-12-2005, 03:54 PM
dubcac
I

Combustion chamber volume has nothing to do with rod/stroke ratio, and I don't think you'd need to lower the compression anyways. High compression is fine with boost as long as you have the fuel/tuning to match.

As for the r/s ratio, the lower it is, the more stress you put on the cylinder walls and rotating assembly, the more friction you put on the piston/cyl. wall, and the easier it is for the motor to let go at high rpm.