Notices

Newbie Questions

Old 03-09-2005, 11:54 AM
craig5_12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions

First of all, I would just like to say this site has a ton of info it and everyone seems to know what they are talking about. Keep up the good work. I've worked on my 97 Accord EX a lot and have had my hands in engine swaps a couple times.
I just bought an 87 Integra LS for my little bro. and I'm having some problems. The car was running fine for the two days I drove it. I changed the exhaust manifold and put in a new O2 sensor, then parked it for about a month. When I went to get it smogged they said the timing was way off, I took the car home, checked the timing and it was fine...I didn't go back to them. It remained parked for about another week or two and then my roomate went to get if smogged at a place he knew, when he started it though it was burning a ton of oil obviously because of the blue smoke from the exhaust. Took it to get smogged anyway...it didn't pass. So I decided to figure out what the problem was.
I take out the spark plug wires to start doing a compression check and find that there is oil in every hole, almost covering the spark plug in one of them! I change the valve cover gasket and grommets, run the car and no oil is getting into the holes. (one problem solved) However, it's still burning mad amounts of oil AT startup! Eventually the smoke thins out and is almost normal but never goes away. It also is very hard to start and wants to die unless I give it full throttle, eventually it revs real high and then calms down. There is also a lot of fluid (water I think) that comes out of the exhaust everytime I start it?
It seems to me like something broke and is now letting oil into the cyllinders, however I can't figure out what it is for the life of me. Anybody have any clue as to what is going on?