Notices

Tranny

Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 AM
mugen777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny

i dont think anythings wrong with my tranny its a brand new type-r got 800miles on it... but it has this ridgidy feel when i go into gears like its hitting against somethings when i go into gear.... but for some reason it goes in perfectly smooth when downshifting .. maybe its not all the way broken in??
Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 07:14 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Is it stiff when the motor is still cold and you're just starting out?
If so, I wouldn't worry.
Honda trannys are built with pretty tight tolerances, so a little stiffness when cold isn't uncommon. To be safe, just be sure you're fully depressing the clutch pedal and don't rush your upshifts too much.. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
mugen777

could it be the shift linkage... if so how would i find out
Old 03-09-2005, 02:47 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by mugen777
could it be the shift linkage... if so how would i find out
It might be a little stiff. :dunno:
Jack up the car, secure it with jackstands, then get under there with a can of WD-40 and hit the joints where the shifter rod attach to the lever and the transmission. If the trans isn't making excessive amounts of gear noise, it's probably okay.

Oh, it's a dumb question, but I oughta ask it...Does the tranny have the right kind and amount of fluid? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
mugen777

i believe so... we had the tranny put in at local shop we go to with all our cars.. and all i know is they filled her up with new tranny fluid not sure what kind
Old 03-09-2005, 03:49 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by mugen777
i believe so... we had the tranny put in at local shop we go to with all our cars.. and all i know is they filled her up with new tranny fluid not sure what kind
If they are at all experienced with Hondas, they will use the correct trans fluid. From what you're telling, it doesn't sound like anything is going wrong.. it sounds like you've got to break in the new tranny by shifting carefully and not abusing it.