Notices

VTEC feels weak...

Old 03-08-2005, 05:35 AM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC feels weak...

Alright, I've come right up through the chain with the Integra. Started a few years ago with an '87 ls b16, then an '89 gs again b16, then a '92 gs b18a1, then I made the leap to a '00 gs-r b18c1. Well, I still have the '92, runs great, pissed off lil teg, it's got the basics, the short ram intake, bigger exhaust, and a stainless rear section, so it's inhaling and exhaling just fine.

Now with the '00, its snappy, but, I swear I can run hard, right up to 8k, and i never hear or feel any difference that VTEC should make. It's no doubt the fastest teg I've owned, but to drive the '92 isn't really a drastic difference either. The gear ratios seem different, but thats about it. I was lucky with this car and got it before any kinda mods were done, so I'm not trying to hear over a pipe. Is it possible that VTEC isn't engaging? If this happens, how would i troubleshoot the VTEC system? Lemme know...
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
EviLLLLSiNz
n00b

if stock, b18c1 vtec isnt really noticable.. very very little change. once u put on i/h/e u should hear it and possibly feel it more
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 AM
teg_fan
I like integra's

If your vtec isnt engaging, your high end will feel pretty weak I would think. You will not feel the car pull harder when vtec kicks in. If you look at dynos from vtec engines, there isnt really any jump at vtec in torque or hp, the numbers just generally increase as the rpms go up.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
2001TEGGSR

I have a 2001 GSR with an Intake and I deffinately hear and feel a difference at VTEC. Are your oil levels good? Do you ever get a CEL?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you couldn't really hear vtec engage...The audible difference occurs when the secondary intake runners open up.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

get some bolt on's and you will hear the x-over
Old 03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

my top end is far stronger than the G2, but if the cams are running on a certain lobe, then a more aggressive lobe takes its place, then it seems like the sound of the engine accelerating would take on a different sounding growl, especially with no loud exhaust to drown it out. i can see why the intake might amplifly the sound and effect tho...
Old 03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
teg_fan
I like integra's

Originally Posted by red94teg
I thought you couldn't really hear vtec engage...The audible difference occurs when the secondary intake runners open up.

quiet exhaust= hear socondaries, cant really hear vtec
sorta loud exhaust= hear vtec, cant really hear secondaries

Thats how it was with me and skelly's cars....
quiet-> b18c1, rsr (skelly_gsr)
loud-> b18c1, evo (me)
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense, cause i've got Apexi WS and I can't hear vtec kick in, but on my buddies '99 GSR he has a test pipe and no muffler, so you can definitely hear it. It probably doesnt help that my vtec doesnt engage until around the same time as the secondaries open up anyway (somewhere around 6000 rpm). Oh yeah, what is the benefit to having vtec kick in this high? It was tuned that way when I bought the car.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
mean-azz-acura
Grand Sport-Race

how bout vtec controllers, how do they work, and what are the pros and cons of having one? maybe vtec is tuned to open up when the horsepower levels and start to drop through the range, maybe thats why i dont really feel it, because its not really boosting the horsepower, just maintaining the power level where non-vtec usually drops off, which may be how the gs-r has a 8k redline that is practical. if im wrong, let me know, i know the basics of the function of the variable timing concept, but as far as hands on, though its my fourth teg, this is my first vtec...