Notices

Exhaust Valve Problems

Old 03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
NewbieTEG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Valve Problems

Hey, I just learned that my exhaust valve on my 4th cylinder is broken and will need to be replaced, so I was just wondering how offend this happens and what might have caused it to break in the first place. Just so you know I am a reasonable driver, no racing or anything like that, although I do drive it hard sometimes, and also I live in Upstate New York where the temp can get will below freezing at night, thanks a lot and hopefully I can avoid this in the future.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Eclypz

is everything stock?

but to answer your question, no...it's not common at all.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:08 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

how was your timing belt? maybe you skipped timing and bent the valve
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
NewbieTEG

Yes everything is stock, there was a no name eBay air intake on for like a month but i took it off when i got the car. Other than that its bone stock. I plan on putting the Ebay back on after i get the car fixed, after i put on a K&N filter on it!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
NewbieTEG

i was thinking that might be it, i am getting the timing belt replaced now to, while the engine is torn apart already, i am at 81,000 now but i figure its best to replace it now, plus they took some off the bill because the engine is already apart.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Originally Posted by NewbieTEG
i was thinking that might be it, i am getting the timing belt replaced now to, while the engine is torn apart already, i am at 81,000 now but i figure its best to replace it now, plus they took some off the bill because the engine is already apart.
a valve wont just bend for any reason most likey you skipped timing and it bent. Good Ideia to place the timing belt while everything is already apart
Old 03-04-2005, 10:22 AM
NewbieTEG

Yeah i figured as much, thanks alot guys, didnt want to think it was my driving or something like that, I guess i am lucky that i didnt do more damage than i already did!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
MaxOctane

it would be completely absurd of you to not replace your timing belt at this time. First and formost, Honda recommends replacing it every 80K anyway, so even if this did not happen, you need to do it anyway. Secondly, since you have it apart already, you really ought to do it...it will be much cheaper.

Trust me....(speaking as somebody who recently had their timing belt break and now has to replace the whole cylinder head!)
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
it would be completely absurd of you to not replace your timing belt at this time. First and formost, Honda recommends replacing it every 80K anyway, so even if this did not happen, you need to do it anyway. Secondly, since you have it apart already, you really ought to do it...it will be much cheaper.

Trust me....(speaking as somebody who recently had their timing belt break and now has to replace the whole cylinder head!)
Timing belts are suppposed to be change every 90,000 not 80,000
Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM
MaxOctane

After dealing with this crap after it breaks, I won't go over 70K without changing it again.