Notices

New Cams,Valve train, pistons

Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 PM
RboYi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cams,Valve train, pistons

alright im just debating over which route i should take for my gsr. turbo or NA.

i was looking into the turbo route and it would probably cost 3grand for everything if i did the work my self.

the NA route would probably consist of stage 2 camshafts, upgraded valve train, 11;1 pistons. rings.. probably post and polish my head too, do i need to resleeve?

the reason for this is because my friend bought a 300zx TT, and god damn, if my teg would feel like that.. life will be complete
Old 03-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Turbo route is quite expensive but bang for the buck, it is the better of the two. N/A buildup costs a lot of money to acheive the results of a basic turbo kit. The price of what you want to do would be well over 2k and you wouldn't even be close to 200whp, whereas, my Greddy kit is putting down 215whp @ 8 psi after about 3k worth of parts and minimal tuning. Unless you have a trust fund or shit out money, N/A probably isn't the best route to take if you have high HP goals.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM
RboYi

haha alright thanks shmoo, ur always the quickest to spill ur brains on these forums.

what kind of additional parts did u have to buy for the greddy kit? if any?
did you upgrade ur internals? if you had any mechanical problemss? install it urself? thanks man
Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by RboYi
haha alright thanks shmoo, ur always the quickest to spill ur brains on these forums.

what kind of additional parts did u have to buy for the greddy kit? if any?
did you upgrade ur internals? if you had any mechanical problemss? install it urself? thanks man
Yeah, I am only on the forums late at night as you probably are too. Work + school sucks.

Anyways, I did have to buy the blow off valve and get that welded on. But otherwise, assuming you buy the kit with the intercooler, it is very complete and completely bolt on. I installed it myself in about 12 hours and didn't encounter any problems during or after the install with the turbo components themselves, just my engine. I really needed to replace the rings since I was covering the person behind me with smoke and soot everytime I floored it. I didn't care for the engine management that Greddy provided, so I bought a Greddy E-manage. It isn't the best, but it works for my purpose. I am boosting on stock internals at 8 psi and I haven't encountered any detonation whatsoever since my fuel curves are very conservative. If you want HP, turbo is the way to go. I don't regret the decision to install the turbo at all. If you have the money and know what you are getting into, go for it.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 PM
EviLLLLSiNz
n00b

hehe i was making the same decision earlier..looks like no turbo for me oh well... no turbo lag :P im lookin for doin somethign like

"the NA route would probably consist of stage 2 camshafts, upgraded valve train, 11;1 pistons. rings.. probably post and polish my head too"

my goal is 200whp. what else will i need to do in addition to this and:

aem v2 intake
dc header
rsr exmag
carsound cat
skunk2 im
skunk2 cam gears stage 2
hondata

mayb bore the engine to 1.9L or 2.1L?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by EviLLLLSiNz
hehe i was making the same decision earlier..looks like no turbo for me oh well... no turbo lag :P im lookin for doin somethign like

"the NA route would probably consist of stage 2 camshafts, upgraded valve train, 11;1 pistons. rings.. probably post and polish my head too"

my goal is 200whp. what else will i need to do in addition to this and:

aem v2 intake
dc header
rsr exmag
carsound cat
skunk2 im
skunk2 cam gears stage 2
hondata

mayb bore the engine to 1.9L or 2.1L?
200whp will cost you thousands more than a turbo kit, but if you want to go that route, more power to you.

Some of those mods are unnecessary and they will not even get you close to 200 whp. You will be seeing about 170whp after spending a good chunk of change.

You will have to raise the compression ratio to get near than number and that would require a standalone ECU. The ECU itself will run over 1k + tuning.

I personally don't find it rewarding enough to build up an N/A Honda motor since you will have to dump tons of money in to see even halfway decent results. I will stick with my FI and do it the cheaper, more effective way.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

different strokes for different folks.

trying to hit 200whp NA isnt easy or cheap as stated earlier. you'll need an increase in compression, big cams, a nice flowing header and exhaust, no dc crap, bigger bore makes it easier, and tuning tuning tuning!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
RboYi

alright im gona buy the turbo components... dont know where to find a reliable turbo, i would go with greddy but its hefty in the price, i think if i buy the parts seperate it wll bring the price down a good bit. where should i buy the turbo? what brand? thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by RboYi
alright im gona buy the turbo components... dont know where to find a reliable turbo, i would go with greddy but its hefty in the price, i think if i buy the parts seperate it wll bring the price down a good bit. where should i buy the turbo? what brand? thanks
If you don't have to worry about smog, piecing together a kit would be much cheaper and will give you better power results than the Greddy or other complete kits. There are tons of posts on this site about piecing a turbo kit together, so just search and you are destined to find some good information. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
RboYi

coo thanks. i heard it was illegal to have a turbo on a NA car smog wise.. not true? what are the smog rules? is greddy smog legal? thanks