Notices

Header-Back Exhaust Questions

Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
rh77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header-Back Exhaust Questions

Hey all -

The exhaust system on my '98 Integra LS/Auto is driving me crazy. It has about 100K miles and the following problems:

A-Pipe Buzz
Unknown Leak Location (raw gas smell at idle)
Heat Shield Rattle
Muffler Buzz

I've decided to chuck most of the exhaust from the header-back and I don't know what to replace the parts with. I'm not looking for horsepower gains (the auto-trans probably couldn't handle much more), but perhaps better economy, a MILD note, and no loss of torque.

*Should I have a local shop make a system back to the muffler, or order one pre-made.
*Can I keep the existing CAT? The check-engine light hasn't come on, so the O2 sensors and CAT seem to be working fine (except for the raw-fuel smell at idle).
*What muffler? I had a GreddyEvo on a '99 Civic Si and found it to be a little too loud. Is there one that's recommended that has a mild sound/note?
*Lastly, of course I'd like it be "inexpensive" but not "cheap" if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-RH77
Old 02-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Eclypz

RSR Ex-mag
Old 02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by rh77
Hey all -

The exhaust system on my '98 Integra LS/Auto is driving me crazy. It has about 100K miles and the following problems:

A-Pipe Buzz
Unknown Leak Location (raw gas smell at idle)
Heat Shield Rattle
Muffler Buzz

I've decided to chuck most of the exhaust from the header-back and I don't know what to replace the parts with. I'm not looking for horsepower gains (the auto-trans probably couldn't handle much more), but perhaps better economy, a MILD note, and no loss of torque.

*Should I have a local shop make a system back to the muffler, or order one pre-made.
*Can I keep the existing CAT? The check-engine light hasn't come on, so the O2 sensors and CAT seem to be working fine (except for the raw-fuel smell at idle).
*What muffler? I had a GreddyEvo on a '99 Civic Si and found it to be a little too loud. Is there one that's recommended that has a mild sound/note?
*Lastly, of course I'd like it be "inexpensive" but not "cheap" if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-RH77
1. I would get a premade one ordered for best results.
2. I leave the stock cat. Since you aren't looking for any gains, keep the cat and save your money and the environment.
3. If you want a mild exhaust note, get a Greddy SP2 or the Apexi WS. They look and sound almost stock but with some HP gains.
4. Keep the cat, get a DC sports ceramic header, and a nice sounding premade exhaust. Won't cost more than $800 if you find good prices on those two items. I would also remove all the heat shields too.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

Originally Posted by Eclypz
RSR Ex-mag
:werd: from what ive heard that exhaust is pretty quite and it looks very sleek.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
rh77

Hey Thanks...

I hear the RSR ExMag is the best, but is it top dollar?
(are they selling in the States again -- I heard they when on a break for a while)

-RH77
Old 02-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Eclypz

Originally Posted by rh77
Hey Thanks...

I hear the RSR ExMag is the best, but is it top dollar?
(are they selling in the States again -- I heard they when on a break for a while)

-RH77
they've been back in North America for about a year now.
But yes, they did leave the north american market for a while prior.

If you look online, you can find some pretty good deals on RSR exhausts.

for example:
http://www.racingworks.com/rsr_exmag...90_integra.htm