Notices

upgrade or not

Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM
coltank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade or not

I've got a '95 integra with 170k miles on it, and I'm in the process of changing out the head gasket. I never thought I'd do a whole lot with it, but now that it's paid off, I thought what the hell. My question is, would you start buying any engine upgrades, i.e. intake, exhaust, etc. Or would you leave it alone till it died completely, and swap something else in? Also, anyhting I should go ahead and replace while doing the head gasket?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

depends on the previous owner and well he/she took care of it, how long have you owned the car?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:14 PM
coltank

For about 5 years now. Before that I don't know who had it, but I bought it from carmax. Most of the miles are from me. I think it had about 30k on it when I bought it. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to buy upgrades for this engine, or if I'd be better off dumping a different engine in it down the road. Is the B18B1 a great engine to modify? Cause I wouldn't mind getting another one that maybe had some work done to it.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:31 PM
EviLLLLSiNz
n00b

yea u could go with the b18b (ls engine) but the b18c1 is known to be "more modifyable" than the b18b. also with the b18c you dont have to worry about converting it to vtec because it already has it. there are many routes you can go. both n/a and fi applications are excellent for this motor. just depends what power gains you want and how you are going to be driving the car. with b18b your best bet would be a ls/turbo - thats what i would do. up to you.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

B18b1 is a great engine for begginers, but your engine does have some millage on it and i don't think it's going to be worth modifying even if the engine was taken cared of. if i were you, i'd save some cash for an Engine swap, preferbly the Gsr engine (B18C1 1.8L USDM DOHC VTEC 94+ Integra GS-R 170hp). getting the normal I/H/E on an ls doesn't do much.

oh and what's your budget?

sell ur b18b1 for $75!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:49 PM
coltank

Don't really have a budget (I'm pretty open). I just heard somewhere that the b18b was more modifiable then the b18c. I would also be open to a different engine altogether, although I don't want to get into anything too difficult(i.e. engine bay mods, etc.) I have access to a lift, all tools, etc. I'm just an enthusiast looking to have some fun on the weekends. Probably not any serious racing, although I wouldn't rule anything out.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

wouldn't touch that motor, too many miles not worth it, i did it on one car, only to find out that other things break when u have more power, and not just motor stuff (trans and so forth) just drive it to the ground and use it for that not to get power out of it
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
coltank

So you really wouldn't mess with the car at all?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

im gonna have to advise against it also. i will say this tho, the b18b is a great engine for turbo. the b18c1 or c5 are great for NA aplications(great for turbo also but ya should lower your compression and build your engine more if ya want to run more than like 8-10 psi).
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
coltank

So you think the best course of action would be to get a b18c and rebuild from there? Or would I be better off going with a b20 or something. I'm not afarid to rebuild the engine from the ground up and do it over time. I'm thinking this could be a long term project. Get the car going again, work on the suspension, etc. While slowly building an engine in the meantime. I just don't want to get something that's going to cause me to modify the chassis, etc. b/c it opens up all new problems.