Notices

Iporting from japan

Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
ironfist88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iporting from japan

Can any one help im considering importing a new integra type r dc5 from japan to the uk and need to know how much its going to cost to get it over here including all the modifications required. I got this info from a web site and was wondering weather it is correct and is it easier and more expensive to use a company that imports

This is a quick guide to how things work in the UK :
You pay 10% of the invoice price & freight cost in import duty.
You then pay 17.5% of all the above 3 in VAT.
Then the speed needs to be converted to MPH from KM/H.
Then it needs to undergo a ESVA test and an MOT test.
Then the vehicle can be registered.

This is an example below
Cost of car in Japan FOB 2,000,000 JPY
Cost of car in GBP 10,000 GBP (Currency rate: 200:1)
Shipping cost in GBP 1,200GBP
Import duty and VAT (27.5%) 3,276 GBP
MOT fee 40 GBP
SVA preparation 250+ GBP
SVA test 180 GBP
Registration 38 GBP
Road Tax (6 months) 90 GBP
Shipping terminal fees 150 GBP
Number plates 30 GBP

The SVA test in only needed on cars under 10 years old, so before march 1994 at the moment. The costs can vary, if you fail the tests, a retest fee is charged at 30 GBP, plus the amount that you will need to spend to fix the car to make it passes the tests.

If a car is made after 1995 it is subject to stricter emissions tests and after 1998 it will need a CAT 2 Security (immobilizer) to pass the test GBP 150+.

[For your information, NEW LAWS]
We will try and explain the new law which comes into effect on 1st April 2004. The new law means that any car which is subject to an ESVA (manufactured after 01/01/1997) will require a model report. A model report (emissions and noise tests) is a report of a car that has not been type approved for use in the UK (such as Honda Integra Type R DC5). To obtain a model report the government agency in this country will do emissions and noise tests on the car to make sure they comply with UK standards (this can cost upwards of GBP 1500+). There are some model reports available at the moment (Integra Type R DC5) but these are rented out by the person who have done the tests (GBP 500+). Any car which is measured against the model report will have to be exactly the same specification, e.g. tyres, wheels size, etc) for it to be allowed. At the present time some model reports are available, but not all. Please contact for more information.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be glad you're in the UK! Not because of this, but because of family, I might be moving to UK or HK too though. Anyway, on with the story...

I was going to have an R33 GT-R Skyline imported here for a low cost of $23,000 + S&H. BUT (and that was a big in capital letters BUT) the legalization in CA, USA is ridiculous. Outside of CA, legalization is still a hefty $7~10k...(it's already hardly worth a 10 year old car; the R33 in question was a '95) but in CA, it would be another $5~10k on top of that! So if you figure maximum costs...$23,000 + $10,000 + $10,000 + S&H (approx. $2000) + CA tax on legalization costs ($20,000 x 0.0825).

This information was gathered from calling the two shops that legalize these cars on there own, one in diamond bar, and the other was unavailable, because it's moving locations. You could, granted, go through motorex, or (i forgot the other one who does it), but I've emailed them, and/or called them, and never got a reply. I don't know how peopel are buying cars from them since they never reply.

23,000 + 1.0825(10,000 + 10,000) + 2,000 = $46,650

In any case, I test drove a '95 R33 GT-S. Let me tell you I'm not disappointed in not buying a Skyline anymore. First of all, try pulling into an intersection to make a left turn, when you're sitting on the right side of the car. You can't see the cars coming around the other car that pulled out to make a left in the opposite direction. Then, when we were negotiating pricing, he was offering $15,000 BUT (and another big BUT), he explained that I would have to pay for it to ge licensing. Funny thing, he told me it was legalized before I showed up to buy it. He explained, and breaking it down, it only had a DMV Permit for Movement (which would have to be renewed every 3 months!).

Well, this went on long enough, and got horribly off subject. My advice (in the form of a question), is a $23~$25k car worth it, after you have to pay legalization and shipping fees making the price $30~50k?