Notices

dragging brake

Old 02-22-2005, 04:09 PM
chrisrbts98gs
Bored Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dragging brake

The other day when i went to brake i heard a really loud squeaking noise come from the driver side rear brake, when i got home i took off the wheel to look and the brake had been completely worn to nothing. I changed out the brake pad and checked my other breaks but they were still almost as new for i had only changed them four months ago.

After i drove the car for a little while i stopped to look at the brake and could smell that it had been rubbing. The brake pad seems to rub the rotor while driving, but it doesn't affect the driving, the car doesn't pull or anything. Does anyone know how to adjust the calipur so that the brake pad doesn't rub the rotor? It is only this one brake that is rubbing and I know that i changed the brake pads properly so please don't say that i don't know how to change brake pads.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
chrisrbts98gs
Bored Enthusiast

Well took another look at it and realized that the pads are not "floating" properly (the pad spring isn't pushing the pads away from the rotor properly). So i am just going to call up Acura tomorrow to buy a new Pad Spring and brake pad retainers. I hate going to acura for parts
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
jamesmeister

bummerrr....
Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 AM
bnuk

there is no "pad spring", the piston just relies on the rotor to push the pad back a few thousandenths. i had this same problem on one of my rear brakes. the problem is most likely the seal in the piston is going bad. i ordered a rebuild kit and rebuilt the caliper which took care of the problem. However most people don't recomend trying to rebuild a caliper on your own as it is a real pain in the ass. I actually didn't think it was that bad. Only real porblem was that there was no way to get the dust boot seated properly. I ended up having to seal the boot to the caliper with some JB weld. If you end up buying a new caliper you are better off getting a stock rebuilt/remanufactured one rather than an off brand replacement from a local parts store. Will run you like 100 with the core.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:02 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, there isn't supposed to be any spring pushing the pad away from the rotor. Those springs are supposed to push against the pad backing plate, so it doesn't rattle around.

Another popular way for brakes to drag is the pad backing plate is often just a hair too big. I often have to file off the paint from the ends of the backing plate so it slides nicely into the caliper bracket.