Notices

Powdercoating the fat fives??

Old 02-19-2005, 10:52 PM
95tegraGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating the fat fives??

I'm thinking about powdercoating my wheels but I'm not sure where to take them or even who to contact to get any ideas. I would really like them to be glossy black. Anyway, here's what I'm think about doing to the teg with a carbon fibre hood.

Tell me what you guys think? Has anyone done this and know how much it's costs to get done??

Sorry for the bad photoshop, i just got the program and it's my first try. Thanks to photoshopchop.com for the tutorial.

Before:

After:
Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Don't paint the hood black. It looks like you are trying to look like a car with an unpainted carbon fibre hood (most likely) or want an 80's style black-and-white ("panda," in JDM terms) paint scheme.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:10 PM
95tegraGSR

Originally Posted by Kai
Don't paint the hood black. It looks like you are trying to look like a car with an unpainted carbon fibre hood (most likely) or want an 80's style black-and-white ("panda," in JDM terms) paint scheme.
Sorry, bad photoshop skills here. That's suppose to be a carbon fibre hood. Painting the hood black would just be retarded
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would leave the fat fives the way they are. The carbon fiber hood would be a good touch and the color of the wheels now will accent it.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

they look good in black
Old 02-20-2005, 07:32 AM
gingas

The Teg looks good, go with Carbon Fiber Hood & instead of painting the wheels black go have them dipped chrome. I'm thinking about doing that myself since I can't find the SI's. That chrome would set that white off especially with the JDM H's. gingas
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Tobra

Chrome is heavier, which is bad for parts that spin
Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

To answer your question, almost any body shop can powder coat your wheels. The thing is, not all shops have the machinery to remove your tire. So if you took the wheels alone to any shop it should not be a problem. Powdercoating is a pretty popular method of installing a tough paint job. After they are done you'll then have to take them to have the tires mounted. I've never heard of anybody doing it with the tires still on and if they did it would might come out like shit. I would say the cost would be between 25-75 a piece depending on prep and the shop. If you do go black, go with a flat black and then the clear coat. Gloss black and clear will make too glossy. Flat and clear will still be glossy but with a low tone to it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:02 PM
95tegraGSR

Originally Posted by centerforce99
To answer your question, almost any body shop can powder coat your wheels. The thing is, not all shops have the machinery to remove your tire. So if you took the wheels alone to any shop it should not be a problem. Powdercoating is a pretty popular method of installing a tough paint job. After they are done you'll then have to take them to have the tires mounted. I've never heard of anybody doing it with the tires still on and if they did it would might come out like shit. I would say the cost would be between 25-75 a piece depending on prep and the shop. If you do go black, go with a flat black and then the clear coat. Gloss black and clear will make too glossy. Flat and clear will still be glossy but with a low tone to it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for the info man! There's a couple of places I will check out tomorrow and get some prices and some more info. I'll let you guys know what I find out incase anyone else is interested in doing the same.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:44 PM
SP00NFed
FuK JDM

i say do the cf hood and get your rims powdercoated or get the slipstreams!