Notices

Turboing GSR

Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 PM
00_Teg_GSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing GSR

I have a GSR that has been bored to a 2.0, i have higer compression arias pistons, eagle rods, skunk2 intake manifold, and some other bolt ons. I also have a hondata s200, but i just found out i dont have the boost on it yet. I am getting a revhard stage 2 turbo kit for it, and some 550cc injectors. Im pretty sure my compression right now is at 11:1. I know im gonna need to lower my compression, but im told i can do this by getting a thicker head gasket. Would it be ok to install the turbo and just run it on the 7 lbs that it does automatically for now or is it really important that i get the boost on the hondata and tune it before i drive it.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

As long as it is tuned correctly and conservatively, 7 psi is the maximum that you should go. This would require the Hondata to be tuned correctly with the boost option. I would wait until you can throw some lower compression slugs in there because a thicker head gasket is the worst way to lower compression.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:52 AM
dubcac
I

Installing a thicker head gasket won't lower your compression much. Most people will come saying "high compression is bad for boost" which is bullshit. High compression will always make more horsepower than low compression, and spool the turbo faster. However, you will also be closer to detonation and damaging the engine. With proper fuel management and tuning, high compression on boost is fine. DO NOT just slap on the turbo kit to your motor without getting a tunable EMS like hondata/AEM and the fuel system...that's a great way to ruin a motor. Also, you said that your engine was bored to 2.0L...are you running the OEM sleeve or aftermarket? I really hope aftermarket...
Old 02-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
Installing a thicker head gasket won't lower your compression much. Most people will come saying "high compression is bad for boost" which is bullshit. High compression will always make more horsepower than low compression, and spool the turbo faster. However, you will also be closer to detonation and damaging the engine. With proper fuel management and tuning, high compression on boost is fine. DO NOT just slap on the turbo kit to your motor without getting a tunable EMS like hondata/AEM and the fuel system...that's a great way to ruin a motor. Also, you said that your engine was bored to 2.0L...are you running the OEM sleeve or aftermarket? I really hope aftermarket...
oem sleeves cant be bored to 2.0L