Notices

car burning to rich

Old 02-13-2005, 08:23 AM
ohio_civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car burning to rich

My civic is burning to rich. When sitting at stoplights it starts smoking and flooding. The smoke isnt oil,its gas. I thought it was the oxygen sencer, but I pulled it out and its is neather black nor gray, its red. What other sencers control the mixture? The map sencer?

by the way its a 94 hatch with a d15b7
Old 02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
VTECin5th

w00t, im having the same damn problem, only my shit dont smoke all over...
its running too rich tho thats for sure.. at warm idle im at one bar away from fully rich... and it never even goes to the "stoich" part of the gauge, its always past that, and it sucks, when i hit the gas, it bogs down before it revs...ive tried the plugs/wires/cap/rotor/o2 sensor/FPR/Cleaning injectors etc...im gettin sick of the d16zee
anyone with a solution for me or for him^?
thanks..
-
Old 02-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by ohio_civic
My civic is burning to rich. When sitting at stoplights it starts smoking and flooding. The smoke isnt oil,its gas. I thought it was the oxygen sencer, but I pulled it out and its is neather black nor gray, its red. What other sencers control the mixture? The map sencer?

by the way its a 94 hatch with a d15b7
The map sensor also adjusts the A/F ratio, so I would check that too as well as the wiring of that to/from the ECU. Do you have a check engine light at all?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Check your plugs to see if all 4 cylinders are running rich or if it's just one (stuck injector). Double-check your plug gaps while you're at it.

Check your TPS sensor with the procedure outlined in your service manual (or search for it here) and make sure it's working properly.

Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator's vacuum line for leaks. make sure it's not leaking fuel from the vacuum port (bad FPR diaphragm). Check the rest of your vacuum lines or just replace them because they're cheap.

On a D15B7, the TPS, MAP, o2 and coolant temp sensors are used to regulate fuel trims. Many of them are wired together on the same circuit. There's an electrical diagram for a 5g CX, DX, LX, Si on my civic page in my sig if that helps.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 AM
ohio_civic

Ok heres the deal. I was about 25 miles from home and it was in town driving. When sitting at a stop lite it would start smoking. It was flooding the motor out. Once i stomped down on the gas it was fine. Then on the way home the temp gauge went up to high, then back down to normail. it keep doing that. I think it must be the temp sensor. Where is this located at? By the way the check engine lite isnt on.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
ohio_civic

is this the temp switch?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

That's one of them. There are two. They're both on the side of the head under the distributor. One is for the gauge, and one is for the ECU. I'm foggy on which is which. Start the car and disconnect one at a time while someone watches the gauge. If your car shuts off, that's the one for the ECU... I think the one for the gauge only has 1 wire.

How's your coolant level? Low coolant can make your car run like crap or not at all.