Notices

Front strut tower bar bolts slippage

Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front strut tower bar bolts slippage

I have a strut tower bar like the OEM Si's which bolts to the chassis at points just above the actual strut towers (so it's not connected using the strut bolts). This is the factory Si location for the strut brace.

The bar didn't come with bolts, so I went to Home Depot, bought some 10mm bolts and washers, and screwed em on.

PROBLEM: I think the bar keeps slipping at the bolts when the chassis tries to flex. Because the holes are not perfectly snug at the chassis, and at the brace's mount, only the friction of the washers prevent it from moving due to the play of the holes/bolts. The bolts are already pretty tight.

Suggestions?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you use a bolt and a nut? the bar shouldnt move around if its bolted down tightly.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
chimchim

Yeah, it's stacked like this: bolt/washer/chassis/mount/washer/nut

When it slips (due to some kind of flex: going up driveway, hard braking, hard cornering) I hear it as a ringing "kabaaaaaaaanggggg" as the chassis resonates a bit. When I remove the bar, no more kabang. This has happened several times and several removal/replace tests.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chimchim
Yeah, it's stacked like this: bolt/washer/chassis/mount/washer/nut

When it slips (due to some kind of flex: going up driveway, hard braking, hard cornering) I hear it as a ringing "kabaaaaaaaanggggg" as the chassis resonates a bit. When I remove the bar, no more kabang. This has happened several times and several removal/replace tests.
really? i have a GSR strut bar on my teg and i used the same method you used and i dont have any problems.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

I have always woundered why people put strut bars on a car with shocks....
Old 02-11-2005, 09:39 AM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by Solracer
Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

true...but honda did it for a reason... :dunno:
Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 AM
00CivicSleeper
Just Beginning...

sorry if im stealing your thread, but is it a good idea to get a front upper strut bar if you lower your car on full coilovers?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:23 AM
chimchim

Can you please explain this statement?

As far as I know, there is still chassis flex even if you have shocks, as it is the anchor point for the shock. I chose to put one one because Honda decided that the GSR and Si need them enough to put them on (and definitely not for the bling cuz OEM strut bars are ugly rolled sheet metal).
Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by chimchim
Can you please explain this statement?

As far as I know, there is still chassis flex even if you have shocks, as it is the anchor point for the shock. I chose to put one one because Honda decided that the GSR and Si need them enough to put them on (and definitely not for the bling cuz OEM strut bars are ugly rolled sheet metal).
How Much side force do you truly think is on the top of the shock tower? There is nothing that is generating enough force to make a huge differnce. Up and down force yes.. side force no. Just becuase Honda Put them on there as OEM does not mean they do something, manufactures have been putting parts on for bling ,(See Cross Drilled Rotors, Wings, Side Skirts, spoilers..). I had one of the del sol and I noticed a differnce.. the window did not shake as much as with out, did I notice a differnce on how it drove?? Nope. I have heard of some people who have taken them off even the mighty Type R and the car Turns in Better, some have taken it off and noticed nothing. Do I think they do anything? I am sure they help make the chassis flex a little less, do I think they are worht the money that some people pay for the non-oem ones. No.

I made the statement becuase I thought it was funny that everyone calls them stut bars, when the cars have shocks, but it is funny that we are putting a part on a car with shocks, that was desinged orginally with a car with struts.