Notices

'00 Acura 1.6EL. Rear defrost half works, but wierd.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:59 PM
fastacura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Acura 1.6EL. Rear defrost half works, but wierd.

On our 2000 Acura 1.6EL I just realised the rear defrost is only working on the bottom half of the window.
Of course I had already guessed its due to a broken grid on the defrost wires stuck to the glass. But today I finally inspect it to see where its scratched through. But I look closely and I notice the defrost grid seems to be in two seperate circuits and completely seperated by space on the glass. The bottom half is one complete circuit and works. Theres a top half grid that doesn't work at all, completely.
They look like two completely different circuits.
Now I know its not the fuse, the light comes on the defrost button, and the bottom half defrosts.
Is this common to see two seperate grids?
All other vehicles I ever owned had one grid only from top to bottom.

Anyone know how this things supposed to work.
The only thing I can imagine is a broken connection burried inside, as its obvious to me that everythings intact on the glass. But its not that old of a car.

Thanks all.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:44 AM
G97EL

Default defrost

I just picked up a 97 El after someone front ended my 01'Altima. Here's the lowdown, your second inactive grill is actually active. It's your antenna for the radio. Notice you don't have an exterior mast, they put it in the rear window. I kind of like it that way. If you need any other info do like me, walk into any acura dealership and ask them for the technician's manual 68$ can. you'll have alot of reading but can save $$$$$$ at the end of the line. Beats paying 86$/hour
Old 02-11-2005, 07:26 PM
fastacura

Oh cool. I always wondered where the antenna was.
I'd have never imagined.
But the actual defrost area is not all that great, as I am 6'1" tall and I look back in the mirror and all I see is the top 1/3 of the window fogged up. Looks wierd. But hey, if thats what it is then thats fine.