Notices

help with 99 civic sedan door

Old 01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
themightychris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with 99 civic sedan door

I need advice either for installing these speakers or just removing the door panel.

I bought 6.5" CDT speakers, I love them, everything said they would fit my car, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Here are a bunch of photos I took

http://gallery.chrisalfano.com/galle....php?gallery=8

I dremeled the crap out of the speaker pod, completely removed the back part of it, still no fit. Anyone have experience fitting 6.5" speakers in this damn car? Otherwise, does anyone know how to remove this door panel? Or at least just the bottom part that the speaker mount is in? There are no visible screws except for 3 i found after removing the speakers. Taking them out didn't help, i've tried pulling on the panel in every direction. I've been able to remove the lock/handle bit of the door and the corner thing. The armrest looks to be secured by 4 plastic snaps but prying them doesn't allow it to move at all and they appear very brittle.

If i could get the door panel off I could probably figure out how to get my speakers mounted. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for anything
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

what the hell are you doing? you dont need to remove the door panel to replace the 6.5" speakers. all you have to do is remove the speaker grill and the 4 screws and thats it. to pop off the grill you just need a flat head screwdriver and in the pocket thing of the door there is a hole that goes right behind the grill just stick the screwdriver in and pop it out.

if you want to remove the door panel dont forget about the 2 screws behind the speaker grill as well as the one in the door handle and the one in the armrest.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM
themightychris

I can't get any descent 6.5" speakers to fit into the speaker pod without cutting up some of the plastic. It would be a lot easier to do that right if i could remove that bottom panel, or the whole panel if i must. That's not my only reason for wanting to remove the door panel though, the window doesn't go up right and I want to see what's up. I know I should probably just take it to a shop, but I like doing things myself cause that's how you learn.

I've got those screws behind the speaker out and behind the door handle out, but there is no visible screw in the armrest. The armrest looks to be secured by 4 plastic snaps but it doesn't come lose when they are pried. I'm just afraid of snapping any plastic by putting too much force in the wrong place trying to get this stuff apart.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:37 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

the screws holding the armrest are behind the switches, just slede off the cover and then you will see it.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM
themightychris

the cover doesn't seem to just slide off...
Old 01-30-2005, 07:35 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

www.installdr.com
Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
themightychris

I've seen that link before, it's 401'd though...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

thats gay. it used to work.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Originally Posted by themightychris
the cover doesn't seem to just slide off...
there is a small tab that you should be able to see just push it in with a flathead and then slide it out. whats so hard about it dude? i never used a manual to take mine off unless the 99-00 door panel is that much different. you do know that after you unscrew the door handle you need to slide it off to take off the panel right?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:50 PM
themightychris

yes i removed it. look:

http://gallery.chrisalfano.com/galle....php?gallery=9

there is only 1 visible plastic snap on the arm rest on the passenger side where there are 4 on the driver's side. It is not the only thing securing the armrest though. I've tried prying the top cover over the switches off, no luck.

Forgive me for being a little hesitent to just put force at pulling things off. Way too many times I've been disassembling something and put too much force before all snaps/screws were removed and ended up snapping plastic vital to holding the damn thing on. So i want to know where everything is that's holding this door panel on before I start yanking and prying at it. Isn't there someone out there with a 99 civic sedan who's done this? Thanks for any help!