Notices

automatic to manual trans help

Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM
integra91b18a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic to manual trans help

You guys have probably heard this question a million times i know i've read it a million times i just feel the answers are some what incomplete, missing something, just not right. i should probably introduce myself or rather my car. it is a completely stock 91 integra gs with an auto tranny. im wanting to swap in a 5speed or even 6speed i think i have a b18a i just got this car as a gift from my parents, it just needs to be ballsier if you know what i mean. I would love to know if anybody has done such a swap in the past and what you need/had to do to make this swap work. i plan on modifying the engine so a tranny that will withstand the power in desired. i have a spare car so extensive instructions would be awesome. i want it to look and drive like it came stick. i would like to think im mechanically inclined, although most of my experiances are geared towards fords and v-8s, i have though made a stick to auto but never vise versa, so most of this would be done myself. thanks again for any help i receive and for awesome cars like yours turning my attentions to the import scene.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:50 PM
95tegRS

91 teg has a cable transmission, (your engine is a b18a), so i fyou want a tranny make sure its a b series cable trany.

I know Qualif make 6 speeds for b18b's (hydrolic), and i also know they cost like $15,000. making ur auto into a 5 speed is not that difficult. These cars are pritty strait forward, so You'll have no problems. Now if you where making a 5 speed into auto, you have to change the ECU as well as some other stuff. But i dont think you'll have to worry about that.

anyhow Welcome to the board.

my advice, get a manual. Technical info on these cars are hard to get on forums. I havent done the swap myself, but i did rebuild my b18b tranny myself. And I could not get any technical info on this (or any other) forum. good luck.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24 AM
integra91b18a

thanks for the help im starting the project today, anymore tips would be awesome
Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Well, you'll need a complete pedal assembly from a manual DA Integra, along with the clutch cable and shifter mechanism. And of course the correct manual transmission. Again I'd look to the DA Integra.

Generally speaking, I tend to question the amount of time and effort put into a auto to manual conversion. If the car is otherwise stock (or near-stock), it's probably cheaper to find a comparable car that started out life as a manual. h:

My 2.3¥

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
integra91b18a

no it has cosmetic mods ie rims, body kit, coilovers stereo ect. i just got though a 89 integra from the guy down the street for $200 he just wanted to get rid of it, it has a manual in it so all the stuff should switch right? do you guys know if that trans will work? i know the engine is a b series so i figured it would be the same i hope at least it beats hoping from junk yard to junk yard collecting pieces.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:10 AM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

Someone asked just this question in March's Honda Tuning, and they layed it out very specifically.... I don't know the technicalities to the full extent myself, so dun correct me on any of this, cuz these aren't my words.

(Verbatim quote from the magazine.)
"I own a 99 civic EX. It has been a great car but it is an automatic. An automatic transmission is great for point A-to-point-B driving car, but I have started ordering parts to make modes. What is involved in changing a car from automatic to manual? I heard I can go to the junkyard and get a 5 speed transmission from another car and that the conversion is not difficult. I am currently deployed overseas, so my resources are limited. Thank You."
Sam Hubbard

(answer from Dru Barrios @ Honda Tuning Magazine)
"Samuel, you are on the right track converting from automatic to manual. Dru Barrios says the conversion, however, is not quite as easy as you've heard. You will need a little more then a five-speed transmission to make it happen. Dru reccomends:

¤ Manual transmission, preferably from a '92-00 Civic Ex/Si, but any any '92-00 tranny should work [obviously that answer will differ for you a bit.]
¤ Flywheel
¤ Clutch
¤ Starter
¤ Manual Pedal Assembly
¤ Clutch Master Cylinder
¤ Clutch Slave Cylinder
¤ Clutch Hydraulic Lines
¤ Manual Transmission Mount
¤ Shit Linkage
¤ Shifter
¤ Shift Boot
¤ Shift Knob
¤ P2K ECU from a '99-00 Civic EX with manual
¤ Intake Manifold from a Civic with manual
¤ IACV and Plug from a Civic with manual
¤ Throttle Body from a Civic with manual
¤ Guage Cluster from a Civic with manual (optional)

On an EG/DC Chassis you would have to relocate the bracket that holds the transmission mount, or get a hasport conversion mount. The good thing for EK owners is that Honda got a little smarter in 1996 and made the brackets indentical for both automatics and manuals. It is the mount itself that is different. All you need to do is get the manual mount and you'll be fine.
The worse part for EK ownersis the idle air control valve. On the D16Y8 the intake manifold on an automatic is different than that of a manual; it appears the manual IACV is a plunger type, whereas the valve on the automatic's manifold is a rotary style.If you use the ECU from a manual you will get and IACV errer code if you do not swap the manifold/IACV plug from from 3 wires to two by cutting the stock plug from the wire harness, splicing the yellow/black wire on the harness to the green/black wire on the plug, and splicing the black/blue wire to te black wire on the plug. The orange wire is unnecessary.
All the rest should be a direct swap. You might want to get rid of your automatic gauge cluster in favor of a manual one, but that isn't necessary."

I know this obviously will differ from your car, given the difference in models. But I don't think it'll be tooooooo far off. I apologize in advance if i'm a moron for posting this, I'm new still, and just trying to help any way I can! Hope I was helpful!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
SimonTempler

what would I need for an 89 intrega Juset pick one up for cheap with 130.000 miles