Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Headers over heating?

Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Kirby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers over heating?

I recently aquired a car, its an 87 Buick Skyhawk Turbo Sport/Hatch. And the headers keep on burning through the spark plug wires. cause the way the engine is set up the headers are right under the plugs. it's burning through the thick insulated part of the plug and there's not way to move it any further. We've gone through about 3 sets of plugs in the past couple of weeks. It hasn't had this problem in the past so we think the headers are over heating for some reason. does anyone know what might be causing this?

I'm thinking that the best idea would be to put some heat wraps on the headers like THIS any other ideas? maybe something a little less pricey.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Those heat wraps would work.

Headers are supposed to be really hot anyways, so it is beyond me why they would put them right next to something that would easily melt. American engineering at its finest...
Old 01-02-2005, 10:00 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

are you sure the catalytic converter isn't clogged? a clogged cat would definitely heat those babies up.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Kirby

holy cow. i think that might be it. cause the plugs were misfiring right before all this happpened. and doesn't a misfire send more stuff to the cat?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:32 PM
pomansouth

put some rice in your gas tank, it'll clean that cat right out...JUST KIDDING. Had to say it since this is a honda and acura site. Anyhow is your turbo spooling as fast as you think it should be, try running down pipe only for a day and see what it does then. Let us know the result.