Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

B20 Builder Needs Help

Old 12-14-2004, 12:06 PM
CDN_EG6
B20BOMBER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 Builder Needs Help

I Want To Talk With Someone Who Has Built A B20 Before

This Is My Plan 2000 Itr Tranny
1st Gen B16 Head With Ctr Camshafts Titanium Retainers Dual Valve Springs Valves, Adj Cam Gears, Possibly P/p
B20 Block With Stock Internal But I May Put In High Comp. Pistons
And Build From Top To Bottom With Apr Bolts. And Eagle B20 Vetch Conversion Kit.

Will This Run Mid 13s
Iam I Missing Any Special Parts
Do I Need New Oil Pump
What Is The Weakest Link I Need To Know
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 PM
BoostedITR41

Originally Posted by CDN_EG6
I Want To Talk With Someone Who Has Built A B20 Before

This Is My Plan 2000 Itr Tranny
1st Gen B16 Head With Ctr Camshafts Titanium Retainers Dual Valve Springs Valves, Adj Cam Gears, Possibly P/p
B20 Block With Stock Internal But I May Put In High Comp. Pistons
And Build From Top To Bottom With Apr Bolts. And Eagle B20 Vetch Conversion Kit.

Will This Run Mid 13s
Iam I Missing Any Special Parts
Do I Need New Oil Pump
What Is The Weakest Link I Need To Know
weakest link of any non vtec block is no oil squirters. the B20 also has very weak sleeves.....should run 13's but I would go with a ITR oil pump and I think you need a vtec timing belt
Old 12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
CDN_EG6
B20BOMBER

Yaa I Was Under The Impression That A New Oil Pump Gear Would Have To Be Purchased And I Know You Can Just Use Ls Belt.

I Want A Track Car To Hall Ass When I Hit The Apex Wohhahahaha
Old 12-14-2004, 04:28 PM
StErN
HAN Approved Vendor

Originally Posted by BoostedITR41
weakest link of any non vtec block is no oil squirters. the B20 also has very weak sleeves.....should run 13's but I would go with a ITR oil pump and I think you need a vtec timing belt
I agree, if you want your motor to be reliable look into getting it sleeved and look into higher comp pistons. Also like stated about a vtec oil pump and vtec timing belt.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:37 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The B20 oil pump part # is the same as a VTEC unit.

The setup will run 13's if you know how to drive and have it assembled correct.

Use the timing belt for the head you're running.

Make sure you get the alignment dowels re-drilled for the head.

The "weak sleeves" everyone speaks of is with very high RPM, or moderate boost with high RPM. Limit your RPM to about 8k, you'll be making plenty of power by then anyways.

Also putting a VTEC head on a B20 is pretty high compression to begin with, if you try to bump it up farther, you need to have the engine clayed with the cams you're going to use to determine if you need larger valve relief cuts in the pistons. Just slapping everything together and putting the hammer down is likely to net you a pretty expensive paperweight.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:25 PM
StErN
HAN Approved Vendor

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
The B20 oil pump part # is the same as a VTEC unit.

The setup will run 13's if you know how to drive and have it assembled correct.

Use the timing belt for the head you're running.

Make sure you get the alignment dowels re-drilled for the head.

The "weak sleeves" everyone speaks of is with very high RPM, or moderate boost with high RPM. Limit your RPM to about 8k, you'll be making plenty of power by then anyways.

Also putting a VTEC head on a B20 is pretty high compression to begin with, if you try to bump it up farther, you need to have the engine clayed with the cams you're going to use to determine if you need larger valve relief cuts in the pistons. Just slapping everything together and putting the hammer down is likely to net you a pretty expensive paperweight.
I beg to differ, the compression won't even yeild 10:1, it will most likely be in the 9.9:1 range depending on if its a jdm or usdm block, which isn't very high for all motor. Running in the 13's is possible though, I had a friend who ran in the high 13's with close to the same setup.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by StErN
I beg to differ, the compression won't even yeild 10:1, it will most likely be in the 9.9:1 range depending on if its a jdm or usdm block, which isn't very high for all motor.
Tell that to all the bent valves I've seen.

To clarify, just about any VTEC head you add on is going to bump up the compression of the stock B20, which is already pretty high for a non-VTEC Honda. [also, USDM B20z and JDM B20b are about the same CR]

What you consider high compression, and what I consider high compression on a street engine are obviously two different things. Regardless of what the CR calculates out to be, any pistons used in this kind of setup need special attention to make sure they don't have issues with the cams you plan to run. Also keep in mind that the lift during overlap has to be taken into account if you were to change cams later.

Regardless, stock pistons, and not much else done to increase CR is still enough to make about 230 at the crank under Honda Challenge H1 rules with a B20VTEC.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
BoostedITR41

10:1 is not high compression at all.....11.5:1 and up is high compression on a street motor
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 PM
StErN
HAN Approved Vendor

Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
Tell that to all the bent valves I've seen.

To clarify, just about any VTEC head you add on is going to bump up the compression of the stock B20, which is already pretty high for a non-VTEC Honda. [also, USDM B20z and JDM B20b are about the same CR]

What you consider high compression, and what I consider high compression on a street engine are obviously two different things. Regardless of what the CR calculates out to be, any pistons used in this kind of setup need special attention to make sure they don't have issues with the cams you plan to run. Also keep in mind that the lift during overlap has to be taken into account if you were to change cams later.

Regardless, stock pistons, and not much else done to increase CR is still enough to make about 230 at the crank under Honda Challenge H1 rules with a B20VTEC.
If you up the compression w/forged pistons then you don't need to worry as much about valve-to-piston clearance. Most aftermarket pistons have a lot bigger valve reliefs than OEM, especially compared to a B20's. And thats also why you clay your motor before hand so you know that all your clearance are within spec.

Originally Posted by BoostedITR41
10:1 is not high compression at all.....11.5:1 and up is high compression on a street motor
Amen to that
Old 12-15-2004, 06:37 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You guys are incredible.

How many engines have you built?

I know what I'm doing, and as I said, your idea of high compression and mine on a street engine are two different things. This isn't a B18c, this is a 2.0L, large bore, PITA to tune if you start getting stupid. 10:1 is plenty to make over 200 HP, and any higher than that you start turning a rather torquey setup into a peaky one.

Besides, when talking about race engines [what I mainly deal with], the B18C5 could use a CR boost itself.

Everything is relative to what you have to work with and what you want to do.