Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Turbo Problem

Old 12-13-2004, 09:06 AM
dawrenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Problem

my friend is having a problem with his turbo. When he is driving and takes it to high RPM's the tubing with the BOV pops off of the IC tubing. What could be causing that. When I looked inside the tubing there is oil in it. Is that bad? Could it be something serious? Also is the turbo manifold suppose to be really hot? I put a drop of water on it and it just slid right off. It seems like it is hotter than normal. I need to know something ASAP. I am posting a pic of the tubing that pops off the ic tubing and a pic of the oil. Right now I have part of the tubing off so I can cget the oil out of it.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 AM
BoostedITR41

uhhh yeah that is really bad......motor is probably shot and that really has nothing to do witht he BOV coming off. Plan on a rebuild very soon and I wouldn't trust the car to drive any major distance

roll the edges on the IC piping so that the coupler doesn't slide off.....that should fix it but I would assume the oil all over the place isn't helping either. when you rebuild make sure you clean the piping really well as well as the IC

edit: the turbo seal could also be blown and letting oil out which is also very bad. the turbo mani will be very hot. what mani is on the car? some get hotter than others
Old 12-13-2004, 09:41 AM
dawrenn

This is the turbo: Garrett T3/T04b turbo .60A/R The mani is a max rev. Someone said the turbo seals went bad and it needs to be rebuilt. could driving up a curb have caused the seals to go bad?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by BoostedITR41
uhhh yeah that is really bad......motor is probably shot and that really has nothing to do witht he BOV coming off. Plan on a rebuild very soon and I wouldn't trust the car to drive any major distance

roll the edges on the IC piping so that the coupler doesn't slide off.....that should fix it but I would assume the oil all over the place isn't helping either. when you rebuild make sure you clean the piping really well as well as the IC

edit: the turbo seal could also be blown and letting oil out which is also very bad. the turbo mani will be very hot. what mani is on the car? some get hotter than others
There is no oil in the turbo.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:05 PM
BoostedITR41

are you saying it is a water cooled turbo or there is no oil in the compressor side of the turbo so the seal is ok?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:36 PM
dawrenn

are you saying it is a water cooled turbo or there is no oil in the compressor side of the turbo so the seal is ok?
It is not a water cooled tubo. There is no oil in the compressor side of the turbo. Is that a good sign?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:36 PM
BoostedITR41

Originally Posted by dawrenn
It is not a water cooled tubo. There is no oil in the compressor side of the turbo. Is that a good sign?

too a point yes but the oil is coming from somewhere so if there is nothing on the compressor side then the oil is coming back through the IM. I would still say oil is leaking through the turbo even though you don't see.... wiggle the wheels and see if there is shaft play in them side to side and in and out
Old 12-13-2004, 05:49 PM
dawrenn

too a point yes but the oil is coming from somewhere so if there is nothing on the compressor side then the oil is coming back through the IM. I would still say oil is leaking through the turbo even though you don't see.... wiggle the wheels and see if there is shaft play in them side to side and in and out
Actually there is some oil on the compression side. I already checked for shaft play. There is none.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Is there oil on both sides of the intercooler? If it is just that side, it is coming in from the intake manifold. Either way, it is really bad.

And yes, manifolds are one of the hottest parts under the hood. It will get hot since it is flowing air that is several thousands of degrees.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:44 AM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Is there oil on both sides of the intercooler? If it is just that side, it is coming in from the intake manifold. Either way, it is really bad.

And yes, manifolds are one of the hottest parts under the hood. It will get hot since it is flowing air that is several thousands of degrees.
Someone told me it's NORMAL for some oil to be in the Intercooler.