Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

New Hybrids

Old 12-12-2004, 02:42 PM
jlan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hybrids

I really like the new Honda Accord hybrid. It's pretty stylish for an accord, and that little thing has 255 hp! and get 30 mpg! The electric motor that assists the engine adds 15 hp (240 + 15 = 255). Makes me wonder why all there cars aren't hybrid. If they put a motor assist system in the NSX . . . or should I say HSC since that chance is gone . . . they could add at least 15 more hp and increase the mpg (which would mean a faster sports car with better gas mileage) and with better gas mileage they could leave the car more affordable or have more room to increase power.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:51 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

The Accord is gonna break a lot of ground I think. I really hope it sells well and causes other makers to pay attention.
Isn't funny how Honda seems to lead the way on these things.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I agree that a system similiar to Honda's IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system will probably be standard issue in the next generations of cars but that's actually not the hybrid's that this forum is devoted to. The hybrid forum is actually for people who want to build their own hybrids by using the motor from another car and installing it in theirs (typically a B-series Integra engine in a Civic chassis).

Since the subject was brought up anyway, IMA systems are good now but unfortuately require a considerable amount of weight and mass for their batteries. I think pretty soon there will be a major breakthrough in battery/electrical storage field and things like that are going to take off. I've actually read a little about lithium polymer battery technology where eletrical energy can be stored in a polymer that can be reformed into just about any shape. The article was refering specifically to replacing Lithium ion batteries currently in laptops and was looking at how a lithium polymer battery could quite litterly but the laptops case itself. Should be interesting in the next few years how all of this plays out and more interestingly to me, how it develops into the performance/tuning market. Imagine that someday we'll no only have to tune a stand alone fuel management system, but also develop the control systems for the IMA system, the variable valve and timing systems and probably thinks like ABS and traction control as well.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 PM
LowSky

Originally Posted by bluetwo
The Accord is gonna break a lot of ground I think. I really hope it sells well and causes other makers to pay attention.
Isn't funny how Honda seems to lead the way on these things.
honda had two hybrids prior the Accord with the Civic and Insight but
didnt toyota make the first functional (insight seems like a waste) hybrid with the Prius, and Ford is coming out with an Escape Hybrid and Dodoge is building a durango one... and Jeep making a Liberty that way too...

the green cars are coming....
Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I realize the Accord isn't Honda's first hybrid, but it's going to be probably the first mainstream hybrid car they sell. The Insight's obviously it's own animal and probably sold more cars as gadgets and to eco nuts than to people seriously concerned about fuel milage (the $20k pricetag just makes it hard to justify). The Civic hybrid is a good step forward but the Accord is one of the best selling cars in America and a pretty bold statement of how confident Honda is in it's technology.

I think Toyota did release the Prius slightly before Honda's Insight but they're actually 2 radically different systems. The Toyota system moves with only the gas engine, only the electric engine or both at the same time and uses a bunch of computers to make it seem all the same to you. Honda's IMA system you are always moving under gas power, they just have an eletric motor in place of the starter that can help move the car and also start and stop the engine. It's much simplier and therefore cheaper so I think you'll see a lot more of it (I'm pretty sure the Ford Escape hybrid uses either Honda's IMA system or one very similiar of their own design).

With modern emissions controls, cars put out so little actual harmful emissions that's it's almost a moot point in that regard. I see us relying on fossil fuel for a long time in the future though. Even when fuel cell cars hit the market, in order to generate the hydrogen they use for fuel take a tremendous amount of energy that's generated from fuel. There will eventually be a major breakthrough in solar or battery technology that revolutionizes everything, I just hope I can still tinker with the new cars to make them faster.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
jlan

Very nice thoughts on new technologies Andy! I've also been curious about how and when big corporations will make the shift to hydrogen. The main problem is what you said about the energy it takes to make the fuel, and it's gonna take a while to get hydrogen stations across the country. Mazda has a working prototype of a hydrogen powered RX-8. It actually uses the same RENESIS rotary engine with a few changes. I think if and when we do switch to hydrogen, it's gonna satisfy the environmentalists and gearheads, b/c I've heard that they produce A LOT of power.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
jlan

On another note, I've heard that the HSC might be Honda's first hybrid super car. It's not gonna be hybrid when it first comes out, but it might be in the future. Honda might have to in order to compete with Toyota if they produce the Alessandro Volta, which is Toyota's hybrid supercar concept right now. 400+ hp, and 30+ mpg
Old 12-18-2004, 01:19 PM
accord-hybrid

Default accord-hybrid.net

just to let you guys know.

i started an accord hybrid forum. just opened a week ago.

http://www.accord-hybrid.net

all are welcome to join

thanks