Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

weird teg problem

Old 12-04-2004, 01:45 PM
the0ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird teg problem

i just changed the head gasket in my 94 acura integra gs-r we got it all back together when i start it its almost like the throttles wide open.. but it isnt
it revs stright up.... we're checking for missed sensors and anything else but cant seem to find anything any help?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I had the same problem. Is it leaking coolant or anything from the intake manifold gasket? Mine was and it turned out that I didn't remove the old intake manifold gasket well enough and it was leaking air and coolant through the new one. Did the throttle cable go on right?

It is most likely the intake manifold gasket since that is the only place enough air can get into to cause this. Unfortunately, if it wasn't scraped off enough if it stuck to the head, you may have to pull the head again if you can't remove it all.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 PM
the0ne

thats what we thought it was leaking coolant and i just took off the old one and put a new one on it and its still doing it this time it didnt leak coolant...
:-/
Old 12-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Strange....I pulled the head off 3 times in my quest to change my first headgasket and the first time I put it back on, I put the gasket on upside down, so I was leaking coolant from the IM because of the gasket, when I started the car, 3 quarts of oil leaked from the head, and I had the erratic idle. There must be an air leak somewhere in the IM. Look everywhere and see if you can find it. Also, make sure that you tighten the IM bolts in a crisscross pattern or else it won't seal right. I just took the bracket holding the IM up off and threw the damn thing as far as I could. It makes tightening everything much easier.

I really don't know what to tell you...just search for the leak near the IM gasket because that is where it most likely is.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:00 PM
the0ne

i put a new gasket on and tried... and it does the same thing... if i turn the car off when it revs up the first time it goes from about 2500 to 5000 up to 5 down to 2...
i tryed retightening the screws and one was loose but i tightened it and nothin... i have my cold air intake off.. but i i can hear a whistle sound... around 3 grand ive come to the conclusion that i hate intake manifolds...
Old 12-05-2004, 01:55 PM
the0ne

also i forgot to mentino if i let out the clutch when its doing this the spedometer goes up to like 20 with the revs... wtf?!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 PM
the0ne

i found the problem... a vac line under the intake manifold that leads to the iab vac tank was cracked off the tank... im replacing the tank... also my water temp sensor = fried
tks for the help guys
Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Glad you figured it out. It was very frustrating for me to invest all that time and have to remove the head again. It was a pain in the ass but it is a lot better than paying someone else to do it for $1500 plus.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:07 PM
the0ne

definitly didnt fix anything >.< and no one knows what that sensor is.. we think its a knock sensor
Old 12-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Where is the sensor located? I cracked the knock sensor in half when I replaced the head gasket. The part from Honda runs $168. An anal raping if you ask me. If it is the sensor right above the oil pressure sensor, it is definitely the knock sensor.