Notices

coolant gauge inaccurate in 1990 acura integra?

Old 12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
mcorbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant gauge inaccurate in 1990 acura integra?

I have a 1990 acura integra in which the rad was recently replaced. I have noticed that the coolant gauge tends to stay on the low end, and drops off the scale if the heater is turned on (I'm in Massachusetts). I talked to the mechanic who installed the rad, and he maintains that it is simply a bad sensor, and that the reading has no bearing on how the engine is working. I'm a bit technically challenged, so I was looking for some informed 2nd opinions. Anyone?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

It could be... it also could be a bad thermostat. Do you notice the temperature rising significantly during idle in traffic, and dropping quickly on the freeway?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:10 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Wouldn't you love to believe that your car is just running super cool?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The sensor is probably relatively easy to get to. The only problem is the raping Honda will give you for a new one.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:33 AM
mcorbridge

I do notice that the temp goes up when in city traffic. It does not rise quickly, and only gets to the mid-point on the interior guage.

As soon as I hit the mass pike (highway) the needle drops. I have been running the interior heater, and no problems have arisen (knock wood)

Thanks all for your replies
Old 12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by mcorbridge
I do notice that the temp goes up when in city traffic. It does not rise quickly, and only gets to the mid-point on the interior guage.

As soon as I hit the mass pike (highway) the needle drops. I have been running the interior heater, and no problems have arisen (knock wood)

Thanks all for your replies
I would venture to guess that your coolant thermostat is stuck partway open. What you can do is warm up your car, and take a freeway run, and see how low it goes. Then come back home, and stick a piece or cardboard cut to cover half your radiator, and take another, shorter run. If the coolant temp doesn't drop as much, then I'd guess your thermostat is stuck partway open.

Good luck!