Notices

installing head unit problem.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing head unit problem.

When i was installing my headunit, my clock went out.. I put in the code, and it works fine. But, when i turn off the car, and restart it, it asks for the code again. I put it in again, and it works fine again untill i turn off my car. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:56 PM
kidM0UA

Did you cut any wires? I'm pretty sure one of the wires is tied to the clock. My gf's teg is doing the same thing. Some idiots stole her deck. They cut the wire harness. I got it all wired up. It's doing the same thing as yours. It'll ask for the code every time after you shut off the car.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:26 AM
VPUPPY

on your radio harness there are two wires that supply +12v. One wire gives 12 volts when the ignition is set to accessory or ignition. The other is 12 volt constant which gives power even when the car is off. Both these wires run to fuse panels which are fused by different fuses. Check all the fuses that are relvant and replace as neccessary. This should turn up a blown fuse and once replaced your cars clock should hold its time. If your fuses are fine or after replacing the fuse it keeps blowing, check your wiring behind your radio. Make sure the 12 volt constant wire out of the radio is goin to the 12 volt constant wire out of car. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 AM
sno

^yeah. sounds like you don't have the accessory wire hooked up.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 AM
bnuk

actually there are 3 12V inputs, one is constant 12V, one is 12V when the key is turned and one is 12V when the dash lights are on. I am not sure which one carries the bulk of the power load but if you wired them backwards it would probably blow a fuse. The only strange thing is that if you weren't getting 12V constant i don't think the radio would work at all, and I know for a fact it wouldn't work if your accessory wire wasn't hooked up. I know on my car the the accessory wire for the clock and radio are wired together and fused in the box under the hood, while the 12V constant is fused under the dash.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
VPUPPY

the wire that carries the bulk of the load is the 12 volt constant. the accessory acts similar to an amp turn on.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

the wire which runs the most voltage through it would actually be the one that supplies power when the ignition is on or in accessory position...the constant supply wire is a very low voltage lead just to prevent clocks from resetting and your audio settings from being lost...and the third is most likely a remote lead for amp or whatever u wanted to hook up in that sense....
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
VPUPPY

actually all the wires that supply voltage to the radio in this car carry the same voltage ~12 volts when the car is not running, and ~14.4 when the car is running. these wires DO NOT carry different voltages because they both get the same power from the battery of the car. you can test this by using a DMM. also, this car is not equiped with a remote lead in the car harness, only what was stated before 12 v constant, 12 v switched, and what bnuk added, a illumination wire that only has voltage when the lights are on. btw, i work for a car stereo shop and have done tons of radios and alarms.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 AM
PlastikOwl

typically (with my own experiences on hondas)

red wire = ignition 12v
yellow wire= constant 12v
blue wire= accessory 12v

You probably don't have the constant 12v hooked up correctly. Look for a yellow wire. It will keep the memory in the head unit active. The ignition (red wire) just tells the radio when to turn on/off.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:36 AM
VPUPPY

just visit installdr.com for more info, they have a break down of a honda/acura harness under the link on the homepage that says 'quick radio wiring info'. You can confirm the wires that are in this harness out of the car side and also the colors from that car that correspond to +12v constant, etc. PlastikOwl gave you the wire colors out of the radio. These wire colors are not on the car side, they are different wire colors. if he did mean the colors coming out of the radio, the blue wire is a remote turn on wire for external amps. as i posted before, make sure the 12 volt constant wire out of the radio is goin to the 12 volt constant wire out of car. Hope this helps.