Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

ECU confusion / pin question / who's on the ball?

Old 11-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU confusion / pin question / who's on the ball?

OK. heres a trickey one for ya..

a friend & i have been having a difference in opinion in this question that has come between us! I'm going to state this being totaly impartial so that it's not leaning either way!

Situation: B18A1 motor running an OBD1 distributor from a b18b1 motor!

Conflict: Will the SHOC ECU from a D16Z6 5spd work with the above motor setup, or is there a difference in pin connections that would not allow it to start up or spark?

:blue:
I kno someone will get a kick out of this!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Should startup and run but run like crap. I'm assuming the D16Z6's engine harness was swapped over to the B18A1 and the motor is running OBD I injectors along with the distributor.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

correct other than i believe the injectors are obd0.. they plug was some kinda screwed up situation but they connected them.. idk
Old 11-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

So is the car not running or is this just a hypothetical situation your considering until you purchase an OBD I LS ECU?

I believe the pre-OBD injectors were of a different type than the OBD I version. Peak and hold, saturated, high or low impediance, I used to know all this stuff but it's been a while since I thought about it. I know the pre-OBD injectors need some sort of resistance pack to function properly and later models did away with that by swtiching to a different type of injector. I'm guessing the plugs aren't physically the same, or you could just resolder the proper connections to the wires, but they probably won't function correctly, if at all.

What does idk mean?

Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

this is a situation that a friend of mine is going to run into real quick & we were just discussing this stuff!

idk = i don't know

& yes, the pre- odb injectors do require a resistance box
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Running925
this is a situation that a friend of mine is going to run into real quick & we were just discussing this stuff!

idk = i don't know

& yes, the pre- odb injectors do require a resistance box
D16Z6 ecu will start the car, but it will have massive fuel starvation issues..I would not run the car for more than few seconds on that ecu.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I would suggest that he obtain a set of OBD I LS injectors if he wants the thing to run properly and also start shopping for P75 (I believe) ECU. With the proper injectors and a P28, it should run but the ECU will probably freakout that the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure sensor aren't responding and will probably drop into limp mode. I don't really see it having massive fuel starvation problems with the correct injectors, there almost the same size as a D16Z6's and probably run about the same duty cycle for most rpms. You might even run a littel rich in the upper RPM under the VTEC fuel maps (not to mention the ECU will probably go full rich when the CEL comes on).

Long story short, should work. Work well enough to drive it out of the garage and check for oil/fuel/coolant/exhaust leaks atleast. Get the right ECU before you go flogging on it though.

Edit: With the current pre-OBD injectors, I have no idea what it's going to do but if it will start, it probably won't run very well.