Notices

JDM, Mugen, Spoon P72 ECU

Old 11-15-2004, 04:10 PM
95GSRGREEN
LiL Punky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM, Mugen, Spoon P72 ECU

Hi everybody reading this Does anyone know whats the difference between the JDM, Mugen, and Spoon ECU? I have a 95 4dr Manuel GSR and I'm looking for a P72 ECU chip to put in my car... Whats the difference between them or are they all the same and which is better for my car?
Old 11-15-2004, 04:13 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say no chip is good for your car that isn't tuned for the things you have done to it. h: jmo
Old 11-15-2004, 04:23 PM
95GSRGREEN
LiL Punky

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
I say no chip is good for your car that isn't tuned for the things you have done to it. h: jmo
What do you mean tuned for things that i have done to it? Could you be a little more clear? The modifications that I have done to my car so far is putting in a K&N downpipe CAI And DC Headers... What do I need to do to my car before I put in a chip?
Old 11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Well, here's the thing: those 'static' chips make adjustments to your fuel and timing maps that supposedly give you power. The problem is that they are static meaning that they set these maps to a specific setting regardless of whether it will help you or not. 'Dynamic' chips (if that's what you want to call them) like Hondata or Uberdata are tunable systems that can be set and tuned to the settings that will actually help your car. This type of tuning is usually done on a dyno so that you can see where in your powerband you need to tweak the settings and also get distinct readings from the wideband O2 sensor that they usually use. These kinds of systems are overkill for mildly modded engines and would not be very useful for a car with just intake/header/exhaust.

The 'static' chips have no idea what you are currently using to increase horsepower or where in your powerband you will gain the most from changing fuel/timing maps so they (in my opinion) are virutally worthless.

You will never achieve the 'right time to install a chip' of the kind you mentioned unless you were to find out from the manufacturer what their recommended optimum performance mods for their chip are. They have designed the chip for the B18C1 with a certain type of header, intake, exhaust, cam, ignition, etc.

My recommendation, stay away from these kinds of chips. If you want a cheap mod that will increase horsepower, get nitrous (I can't believe I'm recommending nitrous).

hih

Last edited by westcoaststyle; 11-15-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
95GSRGREEN
LiL Punky

Hey westcoaststyle thanks for the advice, I think I'll take it, but I not really leaning towards the nitrous... I don't know why but I'd rather do other engine modifications other than adding nitrous to my car... I really dont know why I don't want nitrous... But thanks again for the advice , I'll just think of other performance modifications i can do to my car. :thinking:
Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

I'm not a big nitrous fan either. In all seriousness, if you want to get the most out of your engine then save up and put a turbo on it. It really is the most bang-for-the-buck mod that you can do and still keep your engine reliable if installed and tuned correctly.

If you were to add up the cost of the simple bolt-ons, you could easily buy a small turbo kit.

Glad I could help.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
worm696

hes right. basically a chip wont do much at all with the very few mods you have. and one more thing, you have a header not headers.