Notices

My exhaust sucks...

Old 11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Acuralover2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust sucks...

Hello again

I have a 1994 Acura integra LS 1.8L 5 Speed

I recently purchased new headers, OEM Catalytic converter, and Exhaust system that advertised having a nice tone and not being too loud. I installed everything tightened everything down and started the car. IT sounded great at idle there was a nice deep tone to it just like I wanted, but after taking it for spin around the block I noticed around 3800-4500 RPM it sounds like a kazoo (those wistles you blow into that make annoying noises) After passing 4500 RPM is sounds much better and not like a weedwhacker under a pillow. I checked everything under I noticed the tail pipe was rubbing the back fender but I fixed that by raising the center pipe all the way up which dropped the muffler downward and gave me a little clearance but the noise still exists. is this noise something I should expect? the muffler is glasspacked. The exhaust has a resanator which is suppost to make it quieter. all pipes from the catalytic converter back are tightened down by U-clamps. is this the muffler+tip? if so can the tone be changed by simply replacing the muffler and tip or is this a loose pipe somewhere?

--- Thanks!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

What type of exhaust is it and where was it purchased?

duck squad member #00003
Old 11-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Acuralover2004

Default crap

Crap, I'm just now reading reviews...I guess its common for the Pacesetter exhaust's to sound this way...would replacing the TIP make a difference like it did this guy.

review from someone with similar problem
http://www.miata.net/products/intex/...r_catback.html

Picture of the tip
http://gallery.shhdotcom.org/albums/.../10003/tip.jpg
Old 11-15-2004, 04:06 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Glasspacked?
I haven't heard, excuse me, read that one in a while.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Acuralover2004

Default s

I'm a noob...glass packed makes the car sound ricey or no?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:26 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The kazoo sound you describe leads me to believe that a gasket or some foreign object is acting like a saxopone reed - creating the high pitch note.

:thinking: Are you sure the exhaust wasn't damaged in shipping?

On an Integra, glass-packed tips look cheap and don't make much of a difference in terms of volume or pitch. I'd avoid them altogether.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

After reading the reviews on Miata.net, it sounds like this exhaust is very cheaply made. I think the best course of action is to return it if at all possible...and pick up a system that is fabricated with greater care and better quality materials. h:

From the Miata.net link above:
…After a month it then began to rattle slightly and i replaced the cat thinking it might be the heat sheild. Now i have a high flow cat and still the rattle. The actual muffler is were the rattle is coming from. it now rattles extremely bad at cold start up and around 2k to 1k when decelerating and i can pick up hints of it as i accelerate. I guess i got what i paid for.....i don't recommend this exhaust for anyone.…
…I have had the system for 3 years and have noticed the following: The system looks entirely different now from when I put it in (on my '90). It came painted black, with yellow trim and paint of the chrome tailpipe. Now, all the black paint has fallen off, the yellow trim was gone in about a month, and part of the inner resonator in the tailpipe has rusted away.…
…The exhaust is painted black, simply for looks in photos. It took about half an hour to put on after removing my old exhaust. The only trouble with fitment was that the chrome tip rubbed my rear valence where the stock tip exited. Nothing bad, but rattled until I bent some hangers. I started it up and it sounded nice and deep during idle, but then I revved it up...it was the riciest sound EVER! Apparently the tip is glasspacked and is there for noise...

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Acuralover2004

Default thanks

thanks for the replies...I guess im screwed then
Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Acuralover2004
thanks for the replies...I guess im screwed then
Well, maybe not... do you still have your stock exhaust?

If yes, I'd reinstall it soon. If you don't have your stock system anymore, then I'd hit the local salvage yards to find an OEM muffler and resonator. Try and get the PaceSetter exhaust off the car as fast as possible. It will help you in trying to return it.

Also call the shop you purchased the Pacesetter system from and try to get a return authorization. Tell 'em you expected a deep, low exhaust note and that the high-pitched kazoo sound is unacceptable. Don't be an asshole with them right away, but be prepared to ttick to your guns and fight if need be.

I would consider the Pacesetter exhaust to be defective; there's no reason for you to have to put up with it.

I'd give it a shot.The worst case scenario is that they say no.
If the return is denied, sell the PaceSetter system via craigslist or ebay.

Good luck.