Notices

Brake (stop) light switch needs replacing...?

Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 PM
milkshake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake (stop) light switch needs replacing...?

Howdy all,

So I took my 94 GS-R sedan in for the annual inspection, and was surpised to learn the brake lights aren't working. The inspection place (a Mazda/Volvo dealership) took a look at it and diagnosed that the brake light switch is shot and needs replacing. I'm going to do a little diagnostics of my own in the morning to try to validate this, but if it is indeed the case, how long does it take to replace this part. It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but both the Mazda place and an Acura dealership I called quoted 90 mins ($140+ in labor) to do this.

Also, is the $60 Acura switch part the best part for me to buy? Are there generic parts that would save me money? (the ones I've seen are $15 for w/o cruise control, but the same $60-$80 for w/ cruise control)

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:19 PM
milkshake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I couldn't find an Acura, Honda, or other reputable service place to do the install today (my fault for oversleeping I guess -- I also wasted some time trying to do it myself, but decided against it). So I went to Firestone. A mistake. Now, they did get the new brake light switch installed, and that did solve the brake light problem...

But... it seems they didn't adjust it right, or worse, messed something up. The brakes seem to be lightly applied all the time -- which I'm guessing means they didn't back the switch off far enough from the pedal that it's keeping the pedal depressed slightly. The weird thing is that every once in a while, the brakes feel like they are applied more than just lightly, and it takes reaching below the pedal with my foot and pulling up to get it back to the "very lightly applied" state. Is that indicative of something else wrong?

Firestone were bastards about it, choosing to waste time arguing with me that it must have come in like that, and that they can't be responsible for a part I supplied (I got the part from an Acura dealer here). So I'm going to try to adjust it myself tomorrow morning...