Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

supercharger Vs. Turbocharger

Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 PM
jake1511

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger Vs. Turbocharger

just wondering what the most popular choice was.

heres a page on the pros and cons(wondering if they actually know much about turbo's)
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

i was wondering if i could get your choice on a supercharger or turbo charger.
since you guys (and girls) are seasoned mechanics and drivers, which would you prefer and why?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=688120
Old 11-05-2004, 07:53 PM
XCM828
stay off of wet roads

Definetly go turbo. They are much more efficient when it comes to creating power. Superchargers run off of a belt which steals horsepower away from the engine the same way an a/c compressor does. With turbo's you can also easily adjust how much boost you are running. With a supercharger you cant adjust the boost, (other than buying different belts) and you only get maximum boost at redline. With a turbo you get however much boost you are running the same thru all the rpm's. I have also found that you can get a very good turbo for about the same price as an average supercharger.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:04 PM
00Accordowner

is there a turbo kit i can get for my 2000 accord?
and how much
Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Turbos will almost always make more power than a supercharger on the same engine.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by jake1511
just wondering what the most popular choice was.
When it comes to Hondas, the popular choice is turbo. Always.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:29 AM
cwood1388

lol.... man I figured a war would have been going on on this topic......but yeah most people go the turbo route when it comes to our cars
Old 11-06-2004, 08:47 AM
RicerVtr

Originally Posted by cwood1388
lol.... man I figured a war would have been going on on this topic......but yeah most people go the turbo route when it comes to our cars
I wouldn't just say hondas, i think turbos are better on any car. If your not going some crazy amount of boost than you can easily get a turbo that gets to full boost much faster than a supercharger and you don't lose any power like you would with the sc. I don't see why anyone would ever buy a SC over a TC.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

SC's make sense on large displacement engines, especially factory boosted ones. SC's have a more even power distribution than a turbo. They can boost from idle, where a turbo with similar boosting capabilities will still have a noticeable lag. For a car with a larger engine (like say a V8) the amount or torque needed to drive the supercharger is a smaller fraction of the total output, so you you still gain a net increase in power. Add that a SC is less finicky, so it makes sense for car makers to use it since it is more reliable than a turbo.

Case in point, the Mustang Cobra is (was) factory supercharged.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:12 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by Kestrel
SC's make sense on large displacement engines, especially factory boosted ones. SC's have a more even power distribution than a turbo. They can boost from idle, where a turbo with similar boosting capabilities will still have a noticeable lag. For a car with a larger engine (like say a V8) the amount or torque needed to drive the supercharger is a smaller fraction of the total output, so you you still gain a net increase in power. Add that a SC is less finicky, so it makes sense for car makers to use it since it is more reliable than a turbo.

Case in point, the Mustang Cobra is (was) factory supercharged.
Centrifugal superchargers don't make boost at idle. You are thinking of a roots type blower like the Jackson Racing.