Notices

how common is it to snap an axle in a gsr?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:36 PM
RJ_02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how common is it to snap an axle in a gsr?

a friend of mine has a 94 gsr and i got a call today to come look at it for him because something was ****ed up on it. turns out he snapped an axle (driveshaft) on the drivers side. im just wondering what caused it. it wasnt at any of the joints or anything it was the actual shaft, which i didnt think was normal since its a solid steel shaft. (i can draw a diagram if needed to show where it snapped, just tell me if you want me to)

oh yea, also will a axle from an ls auto tranny be the same as the one for a gsr 5sp? there is a ls at a local salvage yard with an auto tranny and it would be easyer (and cheaper) if they were the same and i could just use that.

thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 07:45 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Could be a few things. Too much torque and the stock/old ass shaft couldn't handle it. (possibly 10 yrs. old not up for a challenge) or the car could be too low or lowered improperly which can put an unusual stress on the shafts if not done right. Or just wear and tear. There is no life span on some parts. For instance, I had to replace my master cylinder for my brakes at 50k. Sound likely? Yeah that's what I thought...
Old 11-05-2004, 10:41 PM
dubcac
I

The LS axle will work as long as it has the ABS ring on it. People break axles a lot...stress from hard driving, popping the clutch with the wheel turned, etc.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Tobra

The CV joints and the axles are a weak spot on the Hondas. Especially if you increse the power and stick a grippy clutch and sticky tires on it.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:01 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

my friends car did the same thing when he did a burn oout the axle snapped in 2 pieces
Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
RJ_02

alright, thanks guys, i just didnt know if it was a common thing or not. by the way, his car is not lowered or anything so i dont think that was it.