Notices

Help Tranny problem

Old 11-04-2004, 04:26 PM
eGsr
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Tranny problem

I have a 94 civic with a 98 gsr engine and tranny.
I started a few days ago when coming out of gear it was hard to find neutral.
now I was driving in thrid gear, coming to a red light, I stoped, then tried to put it in first gear, and I get no neutral no side to side movement, and all I have is ether third or fourth.

any imputs would be helpfull

thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 05:20 PM
krusty990

the internal shifting mechanism inside the typical Honda tranny (GSR included) is quite complex. it is basically a BIG motor cycle transmission. Very easy to work on once you get it out of the car and split the cases. side to side movement rotates an internal rod that also moves forward and backward to sellect the proper gear. the rod rotation indexes the shift mechanism to move the proper synchronizers when sellecting the next gear (forward or backward). If you must go in take pictures and lay all parts out so you can reassemble them properly.
Before you pull the tranny
1: check the fluid level
2: check the shift linkage from the shifter to the tranny
3: make sure that the split pin connecting the shift rod to the tranny input shaft has not come out. (it's under the rubber boot at the tranny)

hope this helps
Old 11-07-2004, 04:35 AM
eGsr
User

I dropped the tranny at work on Friday and split open and found what you said
one of the internal linkage pins broke, causing me to get stuck in third gear.

I thought I had fourth but I was wrong the lever would go to fourth bun not engage.

I had to drive to work in third gear, and caught every light on the way, the clutch held up good to my amazement, it's still good. Now I slaped a b16 tranny that I got for 400 bucks.

I wish I had a digital camera I would post pictures, I'll try to get a hold of my friend.