Notices

Air Intake for GSR

Old 10-30-2004, 09:57 PM
hks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake for GSR

What's the different between AEM intake and other cheap intake selling for $10 on eBay? Are they street legal? Which one is better for my 96 Teg GSR?
Short Ram or Long Ram?
CAI and SRI? What are they?

Just bought a new AEM integra vtec SRI on eBay. Only $95 shipped. And I found a eBay coupon for extra $5 savings!

eBay $5 off coupon h:

WOW! I paid only $90~ Now I am happy. Can't wait to hear my new intake.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:40 PM
kevin85193
i'm cool

Originally Posted by hks
What's the different between AEM intake and other cheap intake selling for $10 on eBay? Are they street legal? Which one is better for my 96 Teg GSR?
Short Ram or Long Ram?
CAI and SRI? What are they?
CAI= Cold Air Intake
SRI- Short Ram Intake

Basically, the $10 ebay ones will work. It won't be LEGAL though. I prefer going the legal way and knowing I have a great product.

Short Ram is better for higher RPM's
I believe CAI is for lower to midrange power..

If anything I would go with a Short Ram since you have a GS-R and redline is at 8200

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me
Old 10-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I have an AEM Cold Air Intake for a 1996 for sale if you are interested. $100 plus shipping. Everything included.

The AEM is CARB exempt if you are in CA. I had it on my 96 GSR for a while but went turbo.

The gains are minimal for either the CAI or the SRI. It is mostly up to personal preference as to which you want. SRIs are louder than CAIs.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:50 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I was always under the impression that a CAI produced more power than a short ram due to the ability to harness a cooler air charge that is better for combustion. I had a short ram on my GSR and adding the CAI made a noticeable diffrence.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by centerforce99
I was always under the impression that a CAI produced more power than a short ram due to the ability to harness a cooler air charge that is better for combustion. I had a short ram on my GSR and adding the CAI made a noticeable diffrence.
CAI helps with midrange torque, but at high RPMs, SRIs breathe better, allowing for more peak power with better throttle response. A CAI might get you a better 1/4 time through the midrange torque, though....
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
ChassisInnovations
HAN Authorized Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend a Comptech IceBox over the AEM intakes...

If you are in CA, I'd recommend getting one that is CARB legal.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
dubcac
I

Short rams also offer increased torque and throttle response, due to the air having a shorter distance to travel to get into the motor. I agree with the posts above about going with a CARB legal intake in CA...you don't want to get ticketed for it, and have to go see the state smog ref...pain in the ass.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 AM
TrappistJD

I have a cheapo ram air intake that came with the car. If its almost the exact size and shape of a more expensive one and performs the same function as well as the more expensive one wouldnt it be crazy to waste money replacing it? I will put a K-mart sticker on the intake if I can find one.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:10 PM
bsballboyjk

yea i have about the same questions as this guy. from what i hear, cold air is definately the best. i think thats what i'll end up going with
Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

The only reason i would go SRI is because CAI can cause hydrolocking. Plus if you were to get a bypass valve its been rumored that some bypass valves become dislodged and will actually get sucked into the engine. I think SRI is safer and the extra 1-2 HP you gain from CAI isnt worth hydrolocking.