Notices

WTF, grinding noise when driving in rain...

Old 08-30-2004, 12:15 PM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF, grinding noise when driving in rain...

So I'm coming home from work today in the Accord and it starts pouring down rain. About 30 seconds into the rain, my car starts making this loud grinding noise (similar to the sound of an over-sized tire rubbing against the fender) The noise only occures when I accelerate. As soon as the rain let up and the road was dry again...the noise stopped. The car has done this once before that I can recall in a heavy down pour, but not as bad. It sounds like something is rubbing up against something else... but what? And why only in the rain? Obviously water is getting into somewhere it shouldn't be. I assume it has to be somewhere in the drivetrain because the noise only intensifies when I accelerate. Again, the best description for the noise is a tire rubbing up against a fender. It is loud, and can be felt slightly through the steering wheel. The engine runs smoothly and the car accelerates fine otherwise. As soon as the rain stops, so does the noise. I'm stumped.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
sa863c

My 96 accord has a similar problem when driving in the rain, sounds to me like water is getting into somewhere. The only difference that I can note from your observation is that the engine seems to be stunted, like the intake is jambed or something? As soon as I let off the gas it sounds fine. I thought that maybe water is getting into the exhaust?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

when I let off the gas, the car sounds normal. As soon as I start to accelerate, the noise returns. My engine seems to still run fine as this is happening (No hesitation, vibration, etc.) I just can't pin point where it is coming from, and what is causing it.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very very weird thingy , dont know what the rain can posible have anything to do with it , but i had a similar problem and couldnt figure where the noise was coming from so i went to the shop lift the car with me inside and had one of the mechanics look around the muffler in the back/middle while i put the car on D and accelerate and finally after so many try we found it, well he did since i was in the car so i never saw exactly what it was but it was some part of the muffler system pipe or hooks whatever was touching and that cause the noise but only when i accelerate.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:42 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

I think the exhaust may very well be the culprit...I cant think of anything else it could be. My car already has the famous exhaust 'buzz' at 1500 rpms...and both noises are similar, but the one I experience in the rain is a lot more intense. I just found out last night that my friend is experiencing the same thing while driving his 00 Civic Si in the rain.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 AM
richierich45

Hey I am having the same noise on my 94 Accord SW. It was raining today and the noise is back. I thought I would do a search and I found this thread. Anyone actually figure what this is?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Rice_Kit

do u have cold air intake? maybe it's CAI? check
Old 11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
bonestock

did you even take a look at your wheel wells before posting?

check the plastic fender lining and see if its loose.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:35 PM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

Hey I am having the same noise on my 94 Accord SW. It was raining today and the noise is back. I thought I would do a search and I found this thread. Anyone actually figure what this is?>>

Only thing I've been able to come up with is that it might* have something to do with the exhaust, but that's as far as me (or anyone else) has been able to get. It hasn't rained here in a long while, so it hasn't been an issue.

My car does not have cold-air intake, and my wheel-well linings are in tact.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Rice_Kit

Blank.