Notices

What engine in a 86 Accord LX?

Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine in a 86 Accord LX?

A friend has a 86 Accord LX, she said that its only running on 3, and wants my opinion on replacing the motor, the only problem is she has no clue how to tell what motor she has, and I know nothing about accord motors, so what came in a 86 LX? If it helps its an auto. Please reply asap. Also if she ends up replacing it, I will buy the motor if its biger than a 1.8, and would it be worth fixin up and swaping my D16Z6 in my 94 civic out for whatever is in her car?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:14 PM
metpage

i'm pretty sure its an A series motor, maybe an A16 or A20, and definatly not worth swapping it to your civic though
Old 08-20-2004, 08:02 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

If its an A20 would it be worth taking apart, sending the block to a machine shop, boar it out, get it sleeved, and beef up the rest of the engine? Or would it be hard to find performance parts for it? The thing is I have been lookin for a block b18 or bigger to do that to, and I my buget is under 300 now...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

A16 or A20

http://www.accordinglydone.com/data/...s.php?Series=A
Old 08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Ok now she tells me she was wrong and she has an EX with a manual tranny...? I dont want to drive 45 minuites to tell her what engine she has, so the EX could come with an A1, A2, or A4? She said it has no sun roof, and a 5 speed. Does anyone know what it is? Or was the engine size an option for that year and make? She wanted to know what to do cuz its only running on 3, she said she was looking into replacing the motor, and she wanted me to look around at a yard for a decent one. She said she called around and all the places she called would charge her about 3000 for a new engine!!! I told her NOOOOO way off,, I said I will find out what you have, find a rebuilt engine that will fit in your car, and have my uncle the mechanic install it, and he wont rip you off...

Also, does anyone know what the cheapest engine would be to put in there without any major trouble? Keep in mind it has to be cheap. And somthin that is normaly available at a yard or place that does rebuilds.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:18 PM
metpage

you could probably fit a b-series motor into the third gens but i think the A series are carbed motors so to put a b series you're gonna have to re-wire for fuel injection, and if you can find anther A series to replace the one in there now, the motor itself should cost like 200 but i doubt you'll find one since they are so rare anyways
Old 08-20-2004, 03:05 PM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Originally Posted by racerdave
Ok now she tells me she was wrong and she has an EX with a manual tranny...? I dont want to drive 45 minuites to tell her what engine she has, so the EX could come with an A1, A2, or A4? She said it has no sun roof, and a 5 speed. Does anyone know what it is? Or was the engine size an option for that year and make? She wanted to know what to do cuz its only running on 3, she said she was looking into replacing the motor, and she wanted me to look around at a yard for a decent one. She said she called around and all the places she called would charge her about 3000 for a new engine!!! I told her NOOOOO way off,, I said I will find out what you have, find a rebuilt engine that will fit in your car, and have my uncle the mechanic install it, and he wont rip you off...

Also, does anyone know what the cheapest engine would be to put in there without any major trouble? Keep in mind it has to be cheap. And somthin that is normaly available at a yard or place that does rebuilds.
A20
http://www.accordinglydone.com/data...es.php?Series=A
Old 08-22-2004, 10:53 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

So what would be her best bet? If I can find an A-series motor I will tell her to get that, but if I cant what would be the next best? If the car has to be wired for EFI is that expencive? Also what if I find a EFI motor out of another newer accord, could I swap that one in?
Old 08-22-2004, 10:58 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Oh also you said it prob, has an A20? The A20 on the list you show me says EFI, and also there are like 4 more that start with A20, are you saying it can be any one of the A20's?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:50 AM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

I said Screw it and drove over her house anyways, its a 12 valve carbed engine, not worth doing crap for, I started it up, it ran on 3 like she said, she got the car for 100$, and wants to sell it for 600$, I told her everything on the car is trashed, the body has rusted out where it says LX (by the way it is an LX after all), the motor is toast, it runs on 3 untill it gets warm, nocks all the time and has been overheated (radiator was 1/2 full when I checked it out), it smokes black and blue smoke like no other, I told her to call the Kia delarship and see what they can do, shes on a limited budget so... She called them and they told her they could get her a 05 Rio for 225 a month, w/high interest rate, or a 03 Hundai accent, 40k miles, and still has 60k miles of coverage. So I told her to chose what she wants, but I told her the best performer out of the 2 is going to be the accent... So thats that. If anyone wants to know more about her 86 Honda Accord for sale let me know.