Notices

98 Accord Shift Knob Replacement

Old 08-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Tetsumi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord Shift Knob Replacement

Ok, so I'm new here, and I'm pretty new to car maintenance and customization. I just recieved a new Skunk2 billet shift knob, and I need to know how to get the freakin' stock shifter off.

I'm an idiot , so step by step, non-fail instructions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 03:20 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it's an automatic undo the two screws and if it's a manual twist it off. It's not rocket science.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Intrepid241

If you got an auto ignore what comes next.

If its a manual...its slightly more involved than just twisitn it off. The stock shift knob as a silver rectangular trim piece that is attached to the knob. The shift boot in turn is attached to the trim piece with a rubber fastener. The bottom of the boot is attached to the console trim piece. Its easy to pop off the trim piece at the base...that way to can get at the aformentioned rubber fastener. You can then slide the boot downand twist off the knob. Reinstallation of a different knob will take a little rigging to re-attach the boot. I know I'm talking in generalities...so PM if you need details.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
If you got an auto ignore what comes next.

If its a manual...its slightly more involved than just twisitn it off. The stock shift knob as a silver rectangular trim piece that is attached to the knob. The shift boot in turn is attached to the trim piece with a rubber fastener. The bottom of the boot is attached to the console trim piece. Its easy to pop off the trim piece at the base...that way to can get at the aformentioned rubber fastener. You can then slide the boot downand twist off the knob. Reinstallation of a different knob will take a little rigging to re-attach the boot. I know I'm talking in generalities...so PM if you need details.

Right, but the only thing that I thught I remembered when I changed both my boot and knob was that the silver trim was actually part of the boot. All the the knobs have are the 2 male end clips (to attach to the boot), and the threads for the knob to screw onto the shifter.