Notices

87 Accord threw a timing belt - need help

Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Crit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Accord threw a timing belt - need help

My 87 Accord threw a timing belt and I'm worried about the condition of the head. With the belt cut and fished out of the block, it's obvious that all the teeth were stripped off at the crank. Does this mean that the cam siezed and the head and belt came to a stop while the engine was running? This is an LXi, by the way, so it's a PGM-FI engine. Anyway, the cam is very, very difficult to turn by hand. Is the 2.0L EFI engine an interference setup (basically, is there a chance my valves hit the pistons, or will they not reach)? I'd very much like to throw a new belt on and set the timing, but i'm worried about my valvetrain. Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:02 PM
axion4888

im pretty sure that all hondas are interference. i had the same problem with my 1991 accord. the cam wouldnt turn by hand and it was just as difficult with a wrench. even if you try to replace the head you could still have piston damage. i ended up replacing the whole engine it was only 450 including shipping to your house. if you want the website for the engine place just ask.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Crit

Yeah, post the website so it might benefit someone else later on, too. When you can't turn the cam by hand, is that indicative of valve damage, or is it normal?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:42 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Originally Posted by axion4888
im pretty sure that all hondas are interference. i had the same problem with my 1991 accord. the cam wouldnt turn by hand and it was just as difficult with a wrench. even if you try to replace the head you could still have piston damage. i ended up replacing the whole engine it was only 450 including shipping to your house. if you want the website for the engine place just ask.
yeah if you dont mind posting the page that would be great
Old 08-18-2004, 02:09 PM
axion4888

www.woodfins.com
they are a salvage yard and they'll ship to people in us. they have pretty much anything for any car. however when you go on the website and look for parts it will tell you if they have it. but youll get a lot better price if you talk to them in person. like my engine was like 600 plus 150 shipping and i got it down to 400 plus 50 shipping by truck freight and it only took about 1-2 weeks. thanx