Notices

Engine Swap (I-4 with Mods vs. V-6) & Vigor I-5

Old 08-14-2004, 08:52 PM
VorTECh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap (I-4 with Mods vs. V-6) & Vigor I-5

I would like to bring up the advantage and disadvantage of replacing your I-4 with a V6 versus an I-4 with Turbo/Supercharge, major exhaust Upgrade, and any other simple bolt-on Mods. I believe someone once brought up that Vtec has a lower pwr. band But as part of a reasonably priced Upgrade project this may be possible even on non Vtec engines.

I also want to point out the largely forgotten I-5 from the Vigor. I don't know if this is Compatible with any other car, i.e. Is it able to be placed in another car. It's not exactly renowned for Perfomance but it may be a forgotten way to tap power from an unusual source. I-5's are making a comeback (most notably in Gmc trucks,) who also copied another Honda innovation, Four wheel steer.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:50 PM
2kAccord

Swapping a V6 into an I4 frame requires way more time and money than its worth. A boosted 4cyl would beat a v6 anyways.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 PM
axion4888

2kaccord your totally right this guy has no idea what hes talking about.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:19 PM
bubbrubb

i hope you have about 20grand to blow on this 'mod', cuz thats about how much its gonna cost.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Intrepid241

Lets see...20K for V6 swap or 4K for turbo....hmmm...tough choice. I'd go with the turbo. It'd spank the V6 anyways.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:18 PM
VorTECh

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
Lets see...20K for V6 swap or 4K for turbo....hmmm...tough choice. I'd go with the turbo. It'd spank the V6 anyways.
A V-6 engine with extensive Mods could have a chance with your turbo I-4. With a racing chip, and/or VTEC V-6 engine, this could be a faster car on the track. If you added a racing chip to a V-6 (or the far lighter Vigor I-5) plus a turbo or supercharger, this would be amazingly cheap relatively.

For far less than your $4000 you could get the car dyno-analyzed, and then with that info (power bands, etc.) add a racing chip thus increasing your hp and torque.
Then with the other $3500 add cold air, and a real exhaust system. if you're not willing to spend additional money on it then you really shouldn't be making mods other than the turbo. If you want reliable parts (Honda V-6 engine is Very dependable) versus, if you're on a tight budget, a turbocharger for your I-4 from some bargain-barrel or an aftermarket shop.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:01 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VorTECh
I would like to bring up the advantage and disadvantage of replacing your I-4 with a V6 versus an I-4 with Turbo/Supercharge, major exhaust Upgrade, and any other simple bolt-on Mods. I believe someone once brought up that Vtec has a lower pwr. band But as part of a reasonably priced Upgrade project this may be possible even on non Vtec engines.

I also want to point out the largely forgotten I-5 from the Vigor. I don't know if this is Compatible with any other car, i.e. Is it able to be placed in another car. It's not exactly renowned for Perfomance but it may be a forgotten way to tap power from an unusual source. I-5's are making a comeback (most notably in Gmc trucks,) who also copied another Honda innovation, Four wheel steer.
Okay you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Honda V6s make boatloads of power but are heavier, and if you want any real performance both in a straight line and in the corners you'll want a 4 banger

2) Even the F23 in an Accord has the potential to make much, much more power than the J30 for a lot less money.

3) The God damn Vigor I5 was in a 4th gen Accord chassis. Good luck fitting it into a modern Accord, and good luck finding any type of aftermarket support.

4) 4WS was not a Honda invention. Back in the mid-late 80's it could be found on a handful of Japanese high performance cars. Note how quickly Honda axed the idea because of the relative instability and unreliability of the system. LSDs do a much better job.

5) Why is your name Vortech if you appear to dislike GM? Vortech is also what GM calls their I5.

6) A stock K24 equipped Accord will beat a 6th gen J30A1 Accord in a straight line. Think about that.

7) The K series of engines has much, much more potential than the J series. They have been shown to make insane amounts of power with changes to the ECU and air intake system. I cannot imagine what a turbo would do.

8) You present points that are backed up by nothing. I can see if you came in here and said swapping a J30 with a J32 would be a good idea...I plan on doing it comeday. But an F23 or K24 for a J30? That's ridiculous.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Intrepid241

A V-6 engine with extensive Mods could have a chance with your turbo I-4. With a racing chip, and/or VTEC V-6 engine, this could be a faster car on the track. If you added a racing chip to a V-6 (or the far lighter Vigor I-5) plus a turbo or supercharger, this would be amazingly cheap relatively.

For far less than your $4000 you could get the car dyno-analyzed, and then with that info (power bands, etc.) add a racing chip thus increasing your hp and torque.
Then with the other $3500 add cold air, and a real exhaust system. if you're not willing to spend additional money on it then you really shouldn't be making mods other than the turbo. If you want reliable parts (Honda V-6 engine is Very dependable) versus, if you're on a tight budget, a turbocharger for your I-4 from some bargain-barrel or an aftermarket shop.
So with $3500 I'd have enough to buy a cold air and a "real" exhaust?...I didn't know that...(so that's what I've been doing worng ) It makes absolutely no sense to spend more than you have to for a V6 then turboing a I4. Most of us don't have that much coin just sitting around waiting to be wasted....
Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 AM
flyromeo3

IF Vigors were so great why are these 5cyl. engines obsolete / gone / no one uses them. I barely see Vigors on the road anyway.
Most people here have a budget. ( except for college students living at home which have a surplus of cash....lol )

When I turbo'd my VW I only had a budget of 5,000k.
Parts were more expensive for the 6cyl vs a reg. 4cyl.
With the amount of money I dropped into my VW if I spent that on a 4cyl I think I'd be beating indy cars.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:14 AM
96tegse
'06 Mazdaspeed6 GT

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
IF Vigors were so great why are these 5cyl. engines obsolete / gone / no one uses them. I barely see Vigors on the road anyway.
Supposedly the Vigor was a victim of the times - Acura started selling them in mid 1991, when the US economy was in a recession. The market for a small luxury car just wasn't there. They were very nice cars a the time, but they weren't what people wanted.

Since they never sold well, there wasn't much of a base for people to build on. Also, they were heavy (3200lbs) and apparently the engine compartment was cramped to work in.

The I-5 engine in the Vigor carried over into the base 2.5TL in 1996.